open/close all folders
Rikus the MulOne of the main heroes, Rikus is a Mul (Half-Dwarf) gladiator, and probably one of the strongest warriors of Athas. Thanks to his lover Sadira he's hired by the Veiled Alliance and help them against the evil Sorcerer King Kalak. He later fights against the armies of Urik and ends up owning the Scourge of Rkard, the only weapon capable of hurting the Dragon and the Sorcerer Kings. He eventually slays Borys by breaking the sword in his head.
- Bald of Awesome: As a Mul, he's totally hairless.
- Cool Sword: The Scourge of Rkard. Previously he's also used staves, axes, a wooden javelin and a calhuak.
- Demonic Possession/Mind Screw: Often in the second book when he's attacked by psionics, and also when he's possessed by Tamar.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: He speared Kalak, killed the Shadow Leader Umbra and finished off Borys.
- General Failure: As his campaign against the Urik proceed he starts to lose men and charisma as he fights.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Part man, part dwarf.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Uses this tactic against Maetan in the second book.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When he realises that there was no mole in his army, and that his failures were his own doing.
- Lightning Bruiser: In his first appearance he states nonchalantly that he could kill four armed guards in the time he took to scratch himself.
- Red Right Hand: When Tamar possesses him there's a ruby embedded in his chest and the skin around it is rotting.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: In book two, against the noble who owned him in the past.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gets tons of them in his book, thanks to Idiot Ball.
NeevaRikus' partner in both battle and romance for a while, she's a strong warrior and fights alongside Rikus and his friends. She eventually marries Caelum and has a child, Rkard.
- Action Girl: She's one of the strongest fighters of the series.
- An Axe to Grind: She usually choose an axe as her weapon of choice. In the first book she uses a "trikal" (which is an axe-like mace).
- Badass Normal: She's the only one in the main group who relies only on her skills, except in the last book when Sadira enchants her axe.
- Boobs of Steel
- Chainmail Bikini: Partially justified, as there's not too much metal on Athas, and is a really hot place anyway.
- Fiery Redhead: The green-eyed variety.
- Happily Married: With Caelum.
- Mama Bear: If you value your limbs, you shouldn't harm her son.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: In the last book she manages to whale on Tithian despite being half blinded and weakened for the struggle against Borys.
SadiraA charming half-elf slave who attends Rikus, is quickly revealed to be a sorceress and member of the Veiled Alliance, who plots against Kalak. After his defeat, she actively looks for a way to stop the Dragon, and manages to obtain the power of the Tower of Primords. She's in love with both Agis and Rikus, and eventually marries them both.
- Action Girl: Not as strong as Neeva, but indeed she can handle hard situations.
- Dark is Not Evil: After obtaining the power of the Tower, her skin turns jet black, her eyes and lips cerulean, and her breath is black. However, she's still the same Sadira.
- Ethical Slut
- Femme Fatale: She often acts like this in some occasions.
- Hot Witch
- I Hate You, Elf Dad!: She really hates Faenaeyon's guts, not that we can blame her for that.
- Idiot Ball: Especially after book one, where some of her selfish actions come back to bite her curvaceous ass.
- Mixed Ancestry: Half elf.
- Ms. Fanservice
- The Power of the Sun: Her newfound powers allow her to drain the energy from the sun, making her extremely powerful during the day.
- Super Strength: As long as there's sunlight.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: For her cause she ends up causing Nok's death and the defilement of the gardens of Nibenay.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When she drains too much energy against Dhojakt and defiles the gardens, spoiling them forever.
Agis of AsticlesA noble senator from Tyr, and a master of the psionic "Way". A really wise and kind noble who joins the fray against Kalak. He has a complicated friendship with Tithian, and eventually ends up chasing him when he escapes from the capital and looks for the Black Lens. Eventually Tithian uses the power of the Obsidian Lens to kill Agis.
- Cool Sword: A saber made of steel.
- Cultured Badass
- Friend to All Living Things: He highly values nature and animals. Even giant spiders, if they're not hostiles.
- The Hero: Highly charismatic and capable of holding the group together.
- Killed Off for Real
- Morality Chain: To Tithian. Subverted in book 4 when we find out that Tithian always viewed Agis as a disposable man for his plans of ultimate power.
- Odd Friendship: With Tithian since childhood, but basically one-sided. Also with the Giant Phylo.
- Pet the Dog: He's extremely kind to his slaves.
- Psychic Powers: He's a master of the Way.
- The Rival: To Tithian and Rikus.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Talking the Monster to Death: He prefers diplomacy over battle.
Tithian of MericlesA power-hungry templar serving Kalak, he's a "friend" of Agis. He agrees to help the group against Kalak just for his personal gain. He becomes King of Tyr under the strict control of Agis and the council, but has more ambition. He eventually decides to seek the power of a Sorcerer King, hence, he decides to ally himself with the Dragon and later Rajaat. He manages to reclaim the Obsidian Lens and use it to kill Agis. Eventually, he helps the heroes against Borys, but frees Rajaat from his prison and ends up sealed by accident in another dimension.
- And I Must Scream: His eventual fate.
- Big Bad Wannabe: He's really power-hungry.
- Creepy Crossdresser: It's implied that he used magic/the way to disguise himself as his own mother in order to kill his brother.
- Dirty Coward
- Evil Redhead
- Evil Sorcerer: When he finally learns magic.
- Knife Nut: Fond of backstabbing people.
- I'm a Humanitarian: In the last book it's implied that he fed on corpses.
- Lean and Mean
- Manipulative Bastard: Ooooh boy...
- Psychic Powers: He too is trained in the Way, but not as strong as Agis. Then he gets the Obsidian Lens and his powers skyrocket.
- Token Evil Teammate
CaelumA dwarf from Kemalok and a priest of the Sun. Met by Rikus during the war against Urik, ends up following them and falls in love with Neeva, who eventually marries. In the last book he's destroyed by Borys' mind attack.
- Bald of Awesome
- Combat Medic
- Genius Bruiser
- Killed Off for Real
- The Load: He starts to believe he's getting useless in the last book, but gets better.
- The Mole: Rikus believes that he was actually helping the uriks. Subverted.
- No Body Left Behind: Borys' mind strike hits him hard.
- The Power of the Sun/Playing with Fire: He's a priest of the Sun.
MagnusSadira's cousin, he's an elf who was severely mutated by the magic of the Tower of Primords. Despite his reptilian looks, he's a powerful warrior and a Windsinger, capable of manipulating the wind with his voice.
- Blow You Away: With his voice!
- Carry a Big Stick: Armed with a club, in case his muscles weren't enough.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Killed by the Dragon while he's kidnapping Rkard.
- Gentle Giant: Despite his fearsome look he's one of the nicest guys around.
- The Grotesque
RkardNeeva and Caelum's son, is a young Mul and Priest of the Sun. He's believed to be the one destinated to kill the Dragon, but is actually a treachery planned by Tithian. He's however vital to the defeat of Rajaat.
The Sorcerer Kings
Borys the DragonThe legendary Dragon from Athas, at first he was mentioned in the first two books, but became much more relevant later. Every year he gathers and sacrifices a thousand slaves from each city in order to keep Rajaat sealed in Ur-Draxa. In the past he was Borys of Ebe, the "Butcher of Dwarves" and Champion of Rajaat. He's eventually killed by Rikus.
- Bald of Evil: As a human.
- Big Bad
- Breath Weapon: Hot sand.
- The Dreaded
- Hero Killer: Literally with Caelum and Magnus.
- Magic Knight: During his days as Champion.
- Lean and Mean: He's very slim-built.
- Orcus on His Throne: Averted.
- Our Dragons Are Different: No wings, very slim body, he spits sand and is a master of sorcery and psionics.
- Weaksauce Weakness: His stomach is full of obsidian orbs, required for his spellcasting.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His sacrifices keep the even more dangerous Rajaat sealed.
KalakThe evil Sorcerer King of Tyr, who's setting up a plan in order to turn himself into another Dragon. Rules the city with an iron fist and keeps the zombified heads of Sacha and Wyan (two former Champions) with him. He's eventually wounded by Rikus and finished off by Agis. In the past he was a Champion known as "Ogre Doom".
- Ambition Is Evil: Wants to become a Dragon himself.
- Bald of Evil: And scaly to boot.
- Big Bad: Of the first book.
- Evil Old Folks
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Twice.
- One-Winged Angel: What he's going to do. Thankfully he's attacked while still in larval phase, making that a Clipped-Wing Angel.
- Really 700 Years Old: At least more than 1500 years old.
- Sorcerous Overlord
HamanuThe lion-like ruler of Urik and Big Bad of the second book. He's one of the most powerful Sorcerer Kings. He's also one of the three survivors after the battle against Rajaat. During his Champion days he was known as Manu "Troll Scorcher".
- Big Bad: Of the second book.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He crushes Rikus and annihilates the Legion all by himself.
- For the Lulz: He's been shown to be quite sadistic with his own men. Like forcing one of them to fight a sword-wielding Rikus "unarmed".
- Heel–Face Turn: Sort of.
- Kill It with Fire: "Troll Scorcher".
- Made of Iron: He took a steel dagger in the heart and survived without much annoyance.
- Magic Knight: He's one of the physically strongest Sorcerer Kings.
- No Sell: He's totally immune to the Scourge of Rkard, because Rajaat made him a champion later in order to substitute another one.
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into a giant lion man in order to crush the Tyrians.
- Panthera Awesome: His symbol is a walking lion, he looks like a lion and can turn into one.
- Weaksauce Weakness: To ordinary steel.
NibenayThe mysterious Sorcerer King of Nibenay, is mentioned in the third book and appears in the last one as a dragon-like humanoid. He was known as Gallard "Gnome Bane". He's one of the three surviving Sorcerer Kings.
- Covert Pervert: His templars are all women and their uniform is a simple golden skirt, and nothing else.
- Evil Sorcerer
- Orcus on His Throne
- Shrouded in Myth: He calls himself the "Shadow King" and likes to stay unseen.
AndropinisThe mighty and ruthless king of Balic, appears as a large, muscled humanoid with sharp teeth, large snout-like nose and protruding bones. He lends part of his fleet to Tithian in book 4 and later re-appears along the other ones in the last book. He's sealed away in the Black by Rajaat. Was known in the past as Albeorn "Elf Killer".
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Really arrogant and quick to resolve to violence to solve his problems.
- The Brute: Amongst the Sorcerer Kings.
- The Caligula: The members of his council have been blinded and had their tongues cut. Why? No reason....
- Fangs Are Evil: And also Spikes of Villainy.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Rajaat seals him in the Black.
- Pig Man: Hinted to look like one.
Abalach ReSorceress Queen of Raam, she tries to stop our heroes with her armies. After a hard battle, she's killed by Rkard who impales her with a fragment of the Scourge of Rkard, causing her to be dissolved by Rajaat's powers. She was known as Uyness of Waverly, "Orc Plague".
- Combat Pragmatist: Her main tactic revolves around turning herself invisible and teleporting in the battlefield casting spells.
- Disc One Final Boss: A non-videogame example.
- Femme Fatalons: Has large claws.
- Flunky Boss: She brings along her whole army.
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- We Have Reserves: Show little concern for her troops.
TectuktitlayLittle-known Sorcerer King of Draj, looks like a bird man and seems pretty obnoxious. He's smashed by Rajaat.. In the past he was the "Annihilator of Wemic".
- A God Am I: Calls himself "Moon God of Draj" according to the manual.
- Feathered Fiend: Is half bird.
- Mayincatec: His domain.
- Overly Long Name: Simply called "King Tec" in book.
- Pride: Even in the middle of a world-threatening situation he still wants to be called by his full name by the other Sorcerer Kings.
- The Worf Effect: Rajaat literally crushes him with the Obsidian Lens.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
Lalali-PuyThe "Oba" of Gulg, appears as a beautiful black woman with fangs. She appears in the last book. After taking part in the battle against Rajaat she survives. Was known as Inenek "Aaracockra Scourge''.
Others: The Verdant Passage
GajAn exotic beast captured by Tithian in order to use it in the gladiatorial games. Looks like a huge bug who can devour minds and communicate with telepathy.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Looks like a huge orange roach.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Apparently just a big ugly beast, it turns out to be really important to the plot.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Eventually Rikus kills it with the Heartwood spear.
- Killer Rabbit: At first it doesn't look impressive (compared to the other monsters faced by Rikus at least)... then it touches you with its tentacles....
- Telepathy: Can communicate with people.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Rikus and Neeva were about to free it, and it answers by killing one of their friends. Turns out the Gaj is quite a pragmatic bastard.
AnezkaA mute halfling gladiator. She's quite hard to comprehend and quite snippy at times. She helps the group in the Halfling Forest, but eventually betrays them.
KtandeoA sorcerer of the Veiled Alliance and friend of Nok, he's the one who taught the ways of magic to Sadira. He dies after trying to hold off the pursuing templars.
- Cool Old Guy: Indeed.
- Friend to All Living Things: Being close to Nok and the Halflings he cares about the nature.
- Old Master: To Sadira.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Acts quite harsh with his pupil.
- You Shall Not Pass: And it costs him his life.
Sacha and WyanTwo zombie heads which are seen with Kalak and later owned by Tithian. It's revealed that they were Champions who fought against the rebels and died. They were the "Kobolds Curse" and "Pixie Blight" respectively. Eventually they're destroyed by Rikus.
- Dirty Coward: Ooooh, sure, it takes balls to move war against Kobolds and Pixies....
- Fat Bastard: Sacha.
- I'm a Humanitarian: They both feed on blood and flesh.
- Kick the Dog: In book 4 Wyan threatens to rip Phylo's throat off if Agis doesn't give in the bag with the Obsidian Oracle inside.
- Lean and Mean: Wyan.
- No Sell: Apparently both are immune to mind attacks, as their minds are "resting" after completing their duty.
- Smug Snake
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: To Tithian.
- Small Name, Big Ego: They're all talk.
- Those Two Bad Guys
- The Undead: Zombie heads.
NokA great and powerful Halfling sorcerer, who forged the Staff of Ktandeo and the Heartwood spear. He really cares about the forest and is a little hostile towards humans, but will do anything to stop Kalak. Killed by Sadira in the third book when he tries to kill her and retrieve the Staff.
Others: The Crinsom Legion
Maetan LubarA nobleman from Urik, and Rikus' former owner. He leads his troops against the tyrians and comands the Shadow Giant Umbra. Eventually Rikus capture him and kills him.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- I Surrender, Suckers: When his army is almost gone, he surrenders to Rikus, and try to kill him.
- Mind Rape: A master of the "Way", does several of this to Rikus.
- Smug Snake
UmbraThe King of the Shadow People, is a huge shadow giant who's serving the Lubar clan and is fought by Rikus many times.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Casting a Shadow: He's made of shadows.
- The Dragon: To Maetan.
- An Ice Person: His touch is deathly cold.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The lack of light.
K'kriqA thri-keen soldier who was brainwashed by the Uriks. He fight alongside Rikus and trusts him.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: He's a mantis-man.
- Defiant to the End: He dared to bite King Hamanu as he was crushing him.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Hamanu laughs off his poison, rip off his armor and proceed to crush his flesh.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous
- Poisonous Person: His bite is poisonous.
TamarOne of the champions of Borys, is now a wraith. She and her companions wishes to know what happened to Borys, so she follows Rikus in the form of a ruby in his chest and torments him.
Others: The Amber Enchantress
RhaynSadira's half sister, is a power-hungry elf and a mediocre sorceress who wants to take her father's place. She's eventually banished and tries to get the required power from the Tower of Primords, but she's killed by its guardians.
- Ambition Is Evil: Wants to rule the Sun Smugglers at any cost.
- Buxom Is Better: Even acknowledged in-universe.
- Killed Off for Real: She tries to attack the Shadow People but falls in a weed covered pool and is dragged underwater by the plants.
- Manipulative Bitch: Elf. That's enough of an explanation here.
FeanaeyonSadira's father and leader of the Sun Smugglers. Sadly, his days of glory are over, and now he has gotten old and drunk, and many of his tribe are willing to overthrow him at the first chance.
- The Alcoholic: Quite fond of alcohol and wine.
- Jerkass: One of the greatest assholes on Athas, though he had some Pet the Dog or Papa Wolf moments in the past.
- Karma Houdini: He gets away with all his actions, and he's never heard of again.
- Manipulative Bastard: Like his daughter, as seen above.
- Retired Badass: Used to be one of the greatest warriors and adventurers of all Athas... and the keyword here is used to.
Prince DhojaktThe son of Nibenay, appears as a grotesque human-centipede hybrid with a powerful magic. He pursues Sadira from Nibenay in order to stop her from reaching the Tower.
- Body Horror: As if being half centipede wasn't enough, he has large, bulging eyes, tiny ears and a large bone pone plate instead of his teeth.
- Creepy Centipedes
- The Dragon: To Nibenay.
- Genius Bruiser: A powerful sorcerer, and is also Nigh Invulnerable.
- Implacable Man: During the course of the book Sadira tries several tricks to get rid of him, including her most powerful spell (a destructive cloud of acid capable of wiping out a small army) right in his nostril. It did delayed him, but it only managed to destroy his nose for good.
- Knight of Cerebus
- Noble Demon: Has his own limits.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Sadira's charms fail on him.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Chews Sadira out for defiling the Gardens of Nibenay.
- The Worf Effect: New Sadira destroys him without much pain.
KhirdarThe new leader of the Shadow People, agrees to help Sadira and her friends to fight against Borys after knowing what happened to Umbra. He's actually a servant of Rajaat and helps them only to free his master. He eventually meets his end at the hands of Rikus.
- Casting a Shadow
- The Dragon: To Umbra. And also to Rajaat all along.
- Enemy Mine: He decides to help Sadira against the Dragon because they're enemies. Revealed that they need Borys dead in order to release Rajaat.
- Klingon Promotion: With Umbra's demise, he's the new leader.
- Manipulative Bastard: Plays our heroes in order to free his master.
Others: The Obsidian Oracle
FyloA hybrid giant and a loner, he's tricked by Tithian and later befriended by Agis. Is a huge, simple giant who wants friends and company above anything else. Pulls a heroic sacrifice to buy Agis some time to flee.
- Animal Motifs: Bears, apparently.
- Dumb Muscle: However he can somehow use psionic powers.
- Gentle Giant: If he's on your side.
- The Grotesque
- Heroic Sacrifice: Pulls an awesome one against the other giants to protect Agis.
- Our Giants Are Bigger
KesterA female tarek pirate and owner of the Dark Viper. She's hired by Agis to capture Tithian. During the mess on Abydos she's backstabbed by Tithian.
- Action Girl
- Good Is Not Nice: She's still a pirate, and a violent one.
- Multi Boobage: Sports four boobs.
- Pirate Girl
- Punch Clock Hero: Hired by Agis to help him in his quest.
Mag'rSachem of the Joorsh Giants, wants to take the Obsidian Oracle from the Saram, and forces Agis and his crew to help him.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- The Brute
- Cool Sword
- Family-Unfriendly Death: He falls in the Saram's sacred pit and is mauled by the ghosts of the deceased animals.
- Our Giants Are Bigger
NalWise leader of the Saram, appears as a huge owl-headed giant. He fights to protect the Oracle but gets killed by Mag'r.
- An Axe to Grind: His main weapon.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Though he's smaller than Mag'r.
- The Owl-Knowing One: Has the heas and feathers of an owl.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Reveals to Tithian that the Dragon can't turn him into a Sorcerer King.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The ownership of the Oracle allows him to keep the Saram intelligent and protected from the ghosts of their former human parts. (It Makes Sense in Context)
Jo'orsh and Sa'ramThe ancient dwarven Knights who swore to kill Borys, they guards the Black Lens as Undeads, and were the first giants. They're tricked by Tithian into believing that Rkard is the hero destined to kill Borys, and they eventually are killed in the fifth book.
Others: The Cerulean Storm
The Spiritual LordsA series of undead monsters serving under Borys as the commanders of his fleet. They attack our heroes but fail to stop them.
- Elite Mook
- Quirky Miniboss Squad
- The Undead: All of them , though each one of them has a distinctive tract.
RajaatThe creator of magic and an extremely powerful sorcerer from the past. He thought that all the "new races" were abominations who needed to be destroyed at all costs. He tried to achieve his goal with the help of his Champions, but they turned on him and sealed him away. The Shadow people are currently trying to release him from the Hollow, and Tithian eventually frees him from his prison. After a desperate battle, Rkard and Sadira manage to seal him forever.
- Bigger Bad: Of the series.
- Body Horror: His face is awfully deformed and twisted.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Elemental Embodiment: He turns in a giant whose flesh is made of blue stormclouds and crowned with lightnings.
- Evil Sorcerer: The first on Athas.
- Making a Splash: Creates rain and floods.
- Sealed Evil in a Can
- Weaksauce Weakness: His shadow.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wanted to revert the world to the Blue Era, but the price (the death of millions of people) is too high.