open/close all folders
The man himself
Samuel "raocow" Tanguay
- all lowercase letters: The proper way to spell his name.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Provides educational material in his commentary sometimes. Tread cautiously, though, he isn't always correct (whether by accident or design is unknown).
- Bilingual Bonus: Expected given his native language is Québécois French.
- Breathless Non Sequitur: Near constantly. Lampshades in the title of his YouTube channel, which says "WARNING: non-sequitur content ahead"
- Buffy Speak: Justified, as French in Quebec has many words that mean "thing" with connotations that don't translate well into English.
- Catch Phrase: Plenty. See the main page for details.
- Cloud Cuckoolander/Talkative Loon: This is raocow's "gimmick" as a Let's Player. He has noted that he plays up this aspect of himself for his videos, and he is not nearly so wacky in real life.
- Department of Redundancy Department: "I need to resist the allure of constant repetition."
- Dissimile: All the time.
- Genki Guy: He tends to be very excited and laughs a lot during his videos.
- Gentle Giant: Apparently, he's very tall in real life, and he's also a very kind person. Averted with his appearance in the games, though, where he's just normal sized.
- I Meant to Do That: Often said after he dies, usually with one of two catchphrases: "That was a demo" or "That was For Science!".
- Large Ham: He will often indulge in overacting for the funny value. Be warned that it can happen without warning.
- Trapped in TV Land: In A Super Mario Bros. X Thing, raocow himself gets sucked into the game as a playable character. He never escapes, or even tries to, as in A2XT he goes along with the events and claims he doesn't really know what's been going on since he became Trapped in TV Land in the first place.
Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demons
A.B.C.D.s in general
- Armless Biped
- Death Is Cheap: An inherent ability of their species. "Many starved to death several times in a row before being fed".
- Flawed Prototype: Science's body degraded after his creation, Pandamona's mentally instable, Garish is barely solid, and Nevada was created without feet. The other, younger siblings (except maybe Mishi) are more, shall we say, normal.
- Psycho Prototype: Subverted, Pandamona, the second sibling, is the (more) insane one.
- Invisible Anatomy: Somehow they can climb ladders and vines without visible arms.
- No Mouth: Their mouths (they presumably do have them, to eat their vegetables) are never seen either.
- Only One Name: For a long time, until a raocow-made level revealed Demo's last name. raocow on the forums also stated that her last name comes from the vats they were created in, which means that all the other demons have their own unique last names.
- Slave Race: In one of raocow's levels in ASMBXT, it's written that Demo's species were enslaved by "the Space Masters of Space" because their ability to gain new abilities by eating vegetables (ie, power-ups) made them useful. This is expanded upon at the end of world 6 of A2XT Ep.1.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Most of their hair matches the color of their clothing
Demo is a very introspective and silent cyclops. While originally having been created by the Artist, she was later captured by her current master and is now serving him together with Iris. She doesn't talk a whole lot, but enjoys calm sceneries and being surrounded by cats. She's also very goal-oriented, which is why her master holds her in very high regard - she'd do almost any job right off of the bat and doesn't pay much attention to anything besides her current objective.
- Berserk Button: Don't try to steal a 1-up from Demo.
- Cultured Badass: Likes classical music, as a level in Prelude to the Stupid claims. It still doesn't detract from her platforming abilities, though.
- Determinator: Doesn't care about anything that isn't really relevant to her current mission, and will ignore the plot if it doesn't really affect her. Especially noticeable in ASMT's ending, where she completely ignores both King Charles and Con's affections for her and leaves the Mushroom Kingdom as soon as possible after she's retrieved her teleporter.
- Dude Magnet: Con, King Charles, and Kood all fall for her.
- The Hero
- Heroes Love Dogs: Her pet dog Pal.
- Series Mascot: For A Super Mario Thing
Sneaky, intelligent, but physically weak. To make up for her lack of muscles, she uses advanced technological equipment, often in the form of weapons, but sometimes also other things like jump boots. She loves fighting with daggers and throwing knives, and has a number of pet catllamas she likes to call "Catnip".
"I have a special vendetta to settle with Demo, one that can only be settled with BLOOD!"
Voiced by: Maiku Wotaharunote
Fearful and paranoid of almost everything. Jealous that she didn't get Demo's place as the protagonist, and constantly wants revenge for this. When she's not obsessing with how the government wants to steal her vegetables, she likes taking a bath in hot, melty lava. She's also the only ASMT character to have been featured outside the ASMT story - in Raocow's hack "What the Hell".
Creepily calm, cold, apathetic, and nihilistic. The downer of the bunch. She has psychic powers that can manipulate other people's minds - for example tricking them into feeling pain when they aren't. She can also levitate objects and attack with purple spheres shooting out of her head.
"Are you here to foil my evil plans of worldwide disruption and anarchy? You fool! Prepare to have your entropy increased by a factor of a thousand!"
Despite her appearance, Pandamona is actually an insanely powerful being. She's also very power-crazed, but her box acts as a "limiter", similar to Rumia's bow. She's the worst combination imaginable - powerful and incredibly paranoid. Will shoot at anything and everything moving in her direction.
"Nonononononononono! I don't want to get in any s-street fights right now! This city is loud and, like, everyone looks at you. I just want to go home.. and eat a family."
A shy and very jittery guy. He's obsessed with plants, and touching him is poisonous. Hates being close to people he doesn't know. Someone who steps too close to him or his plants is most likely to end up dead and devoured after a few seconds.
- Ambiguous Gender: Although referred to with male pronouns, raocow actually forgets this in an A2XT episode and referred to him as "she". Soon after, raocow said on the forums that "much like plants, he's not really either and kind of both at the same time".
- Green Thumb: Obsessed with plants.
- I Am A Humanitarian: He is bribed into antagonizing Demo with the promise of families to eat.
Science: FAT CHILDREN!
- Shrinking Violet
- Weaksauce Weakness: Fish. Any kind of meat actually, but raocow just happened to kill him within a second with a single fish.
Johnson Garish McCain
"I am Sergeant Johnson Garish McCain... Lord of the goopas... Idol to the lower classes... and leader of the siblings..."
The self-pronounced "leader" of the siblings. He has a big Napoleon-complex, but no one really pays attention to him and his senseless orders. His ability is to melt and solidify any part of his body at will.
"WE. WILL HUNT YOU. TO THE. END. OF THE. UNIVERSE. DEMO. AND. IRIS. MARK. MY. WORDS."
The first cyclops created by "The Artist" and Demo's oldest brother. His body deteriorated leaving only his eye, and he was later upgraded by the Artist so he could ask questions to satisfy his curiosity. Since then, he's built up a sizeable amount of knowledge, but his hardware isn't developed enough for him to speak more than a few broken words at once. He attacks using glitches and savestates, sometimes even floating text.
"Hi. It's me, Calleoca. Let's have fun together later. I'll secretly join you guys, and pretend nothing ever changed."
The only other sibling besides Iris that was also featured in ASMT. Calleoca is a shapeshifter, however, she doesn't have full control over this ability of hers, so she can easily become quite hectic and stressed once something goes wrong. Big fan of Nue Houjuu and Yoeko Kurahashi. She can be slightly impatient at times and hates not being entertained.
- A God Am I: As she reveals that she was spying on Demo for the entire game.
- Ascended Extra: She attempts to invoke this in A2XT, where she mentions that she would eventually join the main characters.
- Rumia from ASMT was upgraded from being a random Touhou boss to being one of the siblings in disguise.
- Big Bad: Of Superb Demo Sisters
- Fangirl: Fan of "a strange and forgotten culture that bewilders and amuses their greatest historians".
- Perky Female Minion: By far the most sanguine of the siblings.
- So Bad Its Horrible: Her fanfiction is "utterly deplorable", according to Mishi.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She never fights in her real form, having turned into Rumia, Utsuho, a thwomp, some sort of homing rocket, and a fishing fish guy-shaped coin so far.
"Demo, if you could be a dear and kill yourself. I would very gladly appreciate it. Thank you, darling."
Demo's long lost sister, Serac is a drunkard and a party animal. She has the power to exploit glitches and programming errors and also shoot missiles out of her head.
This is canon.
...actually, Serac was a placeholder sprite for a boss in A2MT
. Since the original author of the level was no longer around for the zombie Let's Play
of said game, Talkhaus user KobaBeach wrote up the above description, and raocow agreed with it's canonity. Later on, Serac would actually appear in A2XT
as Demo's sister-in-law, who married one of Demo's siblings - which one is unknown.
- Ambiguously Evil: In the intro to Zebraspace, Serac asks Demo to kill herself. She justifies this with the fact that Demo has died several times already, since it is, after all, a challenging platformer video game. Her reasoning behind requesting this is unknown.
- Fourth Wall Observer: Although characters regularly break and lean on the fourth wall in this series in general, Serac outright points out the demo meter and also advertises for Talkhaus projects.
Playable ASMT Characters
A koopa who enters the Castle of No Significance on a vague mission or something. More formally joins the team in A2XT.
- Crossover: From a different Super Mario World ROM hack, Drama Mistery.
- Interspecies Romance: In his cutscene in ASMBXT he seems to have the hots for Demo and Iris. In A2XT, he actually falls in love with their sister, Pily.
A hyperactive girl who is here because... because. The other characters seldom acknowledge her existence.
NPCs from ASMT
A shy Yoshi who sends messages to Demo throughout ASMT.
The oppressive army that serves as the villains in ASMT. There was also a separate group of Charlies in a level in ASMBXT. Afterwards, they disbanded and went to live their own lives, some of them even working on The Master's ship in A2XT.
King Charles IV
The leader of the Charlie army in ASMT and main antagonist of that game. Although he seems to appear in A2XT, which takes place before ASMT, one of the story writers
said there are just a very large quantity of King Charles IV's.
- Advancing Boss of Doom
- Big Bad: Of ASMT.
- Bullfight Boss
- Climax Boss: He's not the final boss, but he's a much more major story focus in ASMT, and the actual final boss is an Anticlimax Boss.
- Evil Overlord
- I Know Madden Kombat: Like the other Charlies, but more so. His football charges are utterly unstoppable and break through solid stone.
- King Mook: Visually, he's just a regular Charlie with a crown and a cape.
- My Name Is ???
- One Steve Limit: Averted. According to one of A2XT's story writers on the forums (to explain why King Charles appears and claims to have been defeated by Demo even though the game takes place before ASMT) there are a lot of different King Charleses and Demo has a habit of just happening to defeat a lot of them.
- Stationary Boss: The first phase of his boss battle is him hiding inside a giant Thwomp and shooting projectiles at you.
"WHO DARES TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB!?"
A character from the hack Super Mario Infinity who raocow found so hilarious that he later appeared in ASMT as an occasional joke boss.
The Key Boss
The Final Boss
. After raocow had failed to kill it back in his LP of Mario Gives Up
, people had been trying to figure out a way to defeat it for good.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Subverted, it's not exactly animate, but it moves around and kills things nontheless.
- Benevolent Boss: To the point that one level is A2XT is about one of its minions trying to get revenge on the cyclopses for killing it.
- Designated Villain: Invoked in A2XT by one of his minions after the Boss' death in ASMBXT. Basically, the main characters broke into the Castle of No Significance, stole all of its leeks, and killed it for no reason other than it being there. Then again, it did try to kill Mario and was responsible for this mess, so it's not like it was completely innocent.
- Final Boss
- Mythology Gag: It was most likely put into the game so that raocow would finally have to defeat it.
Parrot Boom BoomParrot Boom Boom is... uh...
Well, had A2MT been completed
, Parrot Boom Boom would be the final "boss" at the end of the ultrahard Brutal Bonus Level
, B-Side. Like Black Plague before him, he would have randomly entered the story for no real reason.
- Anticlimax Boss: Invoked again, in keeping with the tradition of Black Plague of ASMT, except to an even greater extreme. The level that comes before is even more insanely difficult and dramatic, and Parrot Boom Boom is even easier than Black Plague to the point where he dies immediately after entering.
- Bonus Boss: (If "boss" is the right word for it, since he dies as soon as he appears after a sadistically hard level.) As seen under Gotta Catch 'Em All, his stage is only accessible after collecting every Parrot Coin in A2MT.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: He comes out of nowhere and is completely unconnected to what little storyline the ASMT universe has.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: Apparently collecting all the Parrot Coins in A2MT would have opened up his level, though the fact that the game is in pieces across several different ROMs makes this impossible.
- Outside-Context Villain: He apparently has nothing to do with Demo.
The Space Masters of Space
A race or organization of beings who enslaved the Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demons and forced them to labor on their starships. After the A.B.C.D.s rebelled against them, the Masters wiped out their species entirely until the Artist (see below) cloned nine of them—Demo and her siblings. Demo and Iris somehow escaped the Artist and wound up in the service of one of the Masters again. The plot of ASMT
is kicked off when Demo's Master sends her shopping for vegetables and a teleporter malfunction gets her lost in the Mushroom Kingdom instead.
- Big Good: Demo's Master fills this role in ASMT. Now that we have a proper backstory regarding the Masters and the ABC Ds, it's unclear whether the Masters in general will be seen as benevolent or not, given their history.
- Department of Redundancy Department
- Evil Overlord: They ruthlessly oppress the Cyclopses.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: They are never shown on-screen, though Demo's Master gets some dialog in ASMT's opening cutscene.
The mysterious being who recreated the Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demons—specifically, Demo and her siblings—after they were wiped out by the Space Masters of Space. The Artist's true appearance and motives are so far unknown, save that he brainwashed all of the siblings except Demo and Iris into doing his bidding.
The ZebrasMassive extraordinarily powerful entities
residing in the mysterious bonus world of Zebraspace
- Animalistic Abomination: They're giant, cosmic technicolor zebras with glowing Phanto faces for eyes.
- The Corruption: Dialogue from Refuge Town seems to imply that the refugees set up the town so that people couldn't come in contact with the zebras. In the hospital, people exposed to the outside have mutated and everyone else outside of their shelter is eldritch.
- Outside-Context Villain: They have no connection to the Space Masters, the Artist, or the Cyclopses.
Other reoccurring characters in raocow's LPs
From Super Talking Time Bros.
- Butt Monkey: Has "died" a few times.
- The Cameo: Made an appearance inside the flesh-lord in A2XT.
- Crossover: Zbambabar appears in a Mario-themed Super Mario Bros X fangame. In Super Talking Time Bros 2, there are a few Kirby references. In Super Talking Time Bros 2.5, he's pretty much the only Kirby character in the maingame besides of the final bosses, Galacta Knight and Dark Matter.
- Eldritch Abomination: Implied to be one in a Make a Good Level X level.
- In-Series Nickname: Calls the Super Squad "Unca Weegie". In levels which are built around Link, he calls him "Auntie Link".