open/close all folders
The man himself
Samuel "raocow" Tanguay
- all lowercase letters: The proper way to spell his name.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Provides educational material in his commentary sometimes. Tread cautiously, though, he isn't always correct (whether by accident or design is unknown).
- Bilingual Bonus: Expected given his native language is Québécois French.
- Breathless Non Sequitur: Near constantly. Lampshades in the title of his YouTube channel, which says "WARNING: non-sequitur content ahead"
- Buffy Speak: Justified, as French in Quebec has many words that mean "thing" with connotations that don't translate well into English.
- Catch Phrase: Plenty. See the main page for details.
- Cloud Cuckoolander/Talkative Loon: This is raocow's "gimmick" as a Let's Player. He has noted that he plays up this aspect of himself for his videos, and he is not nearly so wacky in real life.
- Department of Redundancy Department: "I need to resist the allure of constant repetition."
- Dissimile: All the time.
- Genki Guy: He tends to be very excited and laughs a lot during his videos.
- Gentle Giant: Apparently, he's very tall in real life, and he's also a very kind person. Averted with his appearance in the games, though, where he's just normal sized.
- I Meant to Do That: Often said after he dies, usually with one of two catchphrases: "That was a demo" or "That was For Science!".
- Large Ham: He will often indulge in overacting for the funny value. Be warned that it can happen without warning.
- Trapped in TV Land: In A Super Mario Bros. X Thing, raocow himself gets sucked into the game as a playable character. He never escapes, or even tries to, as in A2XT he goes along with the events and claims he doesn't really know what's been going on since he became Trapped in TV Land in the first place.
- The Unseen: Never seen in real life, other than a VERY cropped self-portrait and his hands in the Christmas unboxing videos. In this video, a reflection showing a distorted version of his face is shown.
Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demons
A.B.C.D.s in general
- Armless Biped
- Death Is Cheap: An inherent ability of their species. "Many starved to death several times in a row before being fed".
- Flawed Prototype: Science's body degraded after his creation, Pandamona's mentally instable, Garish is barely solid, and Nevada was created without feet. The other, younger siblings (except maybe Mishi) are more, shall we say, normal.
- Psycho Prototype: Subverted, Pandamona, the second sibling, is the (more) insane one.
- Invisible Anatomy: Somehow they can climb ladders and vines without visible arms.
- No Mouth: Their mouths (they presumably do have them, to eat their vegetables) are never seen either.
- Only One Name: For a long time, until a raocow-made level revealed Demo's last name. raocow on the forums also stated that their last names comes from the vats they were created in, which means that all the other demons have their own unique last names.
- Slave Race: In one of raocow's levels in ASMBXT, it's written that Demo's species were enslaved by "the Space Masters of Space" because their ability to gain new abilities by eating vegetables (ie, power-ups) made them useful. This is expanded upon at the end of world 6 of A2XT Ep.1.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Most of their hair matches the color of their clothing
Demo is a very introspective and silent cyclops. While originally having been created by the Artist, she was later captured by her current master and is now serving him together with Iris. She doesn't talk a whole lot, but enjoys calm sceneries and being surrounded by cats. She's also very goal-oriented, which is why her master holds her in very high regard - she'd do almost any job right off of the bat and doesn't pay much attention to anything besides her current objective.
- Berserk Button: Don't try to steal a 1-up from Demo.
- Cultured Badass: Likes classical music, as a level in Prelude to the Stupid claims. It still doesn't detract from her platforming abilities, though.
- Determinator: Doesn't care about anything that isn't really relevant to her current mission, and will ignore the plot if it doesn't really affect her. Especially noticeable in ASMT's ending, where she completely ignores both King Charles and Con's affections for her and leaves the Mushroom Kingdom as soon as possible after she's retrieved her teleporter.
- Dude Magnet: Con, King Charles, and Kood all fall for her.
- The Hero
- Heroes Love Dogs: Her pet dog Pal.
- Series Mascot: For A Super Mario Thing
Sneaky, intelligent, but physically weak. To make up for her lack of muscles, she uses advanced technological equipment, often in the form of weapons, but sometimes also other things like jump boots. She loves fighting with daggers and throwing knives, and has a number of pet catllamas she likes to call "Catnip".
- Bedsheet Ghost: One of her upgrades.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In the story outline for A2MT, she was going to be brainwashed by the Artist and turned against Demo. This part of the game never came to fruition, though.
- Divergent Character Evolution: As befitting the Luigi stand-in, she started off as a Palette Swapped Demo, but in ASMBXT, she gets her own sprite and different attributes (worse traction but higher jumps).
- Guile Hero: She's sneaky and intelligent, but weak.
- Informed Ability: She isn't actually ever seen fighting with her weapons of choice or advanced technology. Same with her being sneaky and physically weak.
- Kick the Dog: During his playthrough of A2XT, raocow has Iris randomly toss fireballs at Demo's dog Pal until he's offscreen at the end of world 7. "This is totally in character for her".
- Palette Swap: Originally a purple-ish Demo. In ASMBXT, she gets her own green sprite.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: raocow treats her superior jumping abilities like this. Otherwise, he's perfectly content to let Demo's more stable movements get all the glory.
- Weapon of Choice: Daggers and throwing knives.
- "I have a special vendetta to settle with Demo, one that can only be settled with BLOOD!"
Voiced by: Maiku WotaharunoteFearful and paranoid of almost everything. Jealous that she didn't get Demo's place as the protagonist, and constantly wants revenge for this. When she's not obsessing with how the government wants to steal her vegetables, she likes taking a bath in hot, melty lava. She's also the only ASMT character to have been featured outside the ASMT story - in raocow's hack "What the Hell".
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In her boss level in A2XT. The ensuing infodump then reveals that this applies to all the other siblings too.
- Conspiracy Theorist: She likes to rant about "the government".
- Convection Schmonvection: Enjoys nice swims in lava.
- Dead All Along: "You can't kill me. I am a ghost." Turns out that's wrong on both accounts.
- Heel–Face Turn: Appears on the Master's ship after freeing her from 'Static Life'.
- Interspecies Romance: After being freed from mind control, she falls in love with Kood.
- Ms. Exposition: At the end of World 6 of A2XT Ep. 1.
- Playing with Fire
- Tinfoil Hat: Wears one around Mishi, although it's as of yet unknown if it actually works.
MishiCreepily calm, cold, apathetic, and nihilistic. The downer of the bunch. She has psychic powers that can manipulate other people's minds - for example tricking them into feeling pain when they aren't. She can also levitate objects and attack with purple spheres shooting out of her head.
- Cessation of Existence/Ret Gone: One of her powers. Her own existence, that is.
- Dissonant Serenity/Tranquil Fury: One character trait describes her as "creepily calm".
- Fangirl: Of John Lennon.
- Leitmotif: Oxygen Thug
- Mind Screw: Has psychic powers which can manipulate the mind.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: She doesn't take the main characters' destroying the world very well because of this.
- "Are you here to foil my evil plans of worldwide disruption and anarchy? You fool! Prepare to have your entropy increased by a factor of a thousand!"
- Advancing Boss of Doom: In "Lightning in a Box". Combined with an Advancing Wall of Doom.
- Dragon Ascendant: Once Science is defeated in A2XT, she takes over and destroys the Super Leek machine in order to remake the universe in her own image.
- Idiot Ball: Though not plot-exclusive, she is very dense.
- Leitmotif: 4 AM Stagger
- The Necromancer: In her sibling battle in A2XT World 6, she fights using floating red-eyed skulls.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: However, Demo can pick up said skulls and throw them back at her.
- Omnicidal Maniac: After she's freed from the Artist's mind control, she tries to destroy all of reality—and for now appears to have succeeded.
- Power Limiter: The box she wears at all times suppresses her near-godlike power.
- Rapunzel Hair: Not that you can see it with the box covering it.
- Villain Exit Stage Left: Teleports away when she's defeated in A2XT World 6.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Though at first she doesn't appear to be that powerful, she is power-crazed. When her Power Limiter is removed at the end of A2XT, her power—and insanity—both go through the roof.
- "Nonononononononono! I don't want to get in any s-street fights right now! This city is loud and, like, everyone looks at you. I just want to go home.. and eat a family."
- Ambiguous Gender: Although referred to with male pronouns, raocow actually forgets this in an A2XT episode and referred to him as "she". Soon after, raocow said on the forums that "much like plants, he's not really either and kind of both at the same time".
- Green Thumb: Obsessed with plants.
- I Am A Humanitarian: He is bribed into antagonizing Demo with the promise of families to eat.Nevada: Will there be children?Science: FAT CHILDREN!
- Shrinking Violet
- Weaksauce Weakness: Fish. Any kind of meat actually, but raocow just happened to kill him within a second with a single fish.
Johnson Garish McCain
- "I am Sergeant Johnson Garish McCain... Lord of the goopas... Idol to the lower classes... and leader of the siblings..."
- Badass Boast: "WE SHALL SHOW THE WORLD THAT YELLOW! HURTS!"
- Flunky Boss: Naturally, he's accompanied by his goopa minions. Tons of them.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: One would assume that it's common knowledge that Demo&Co tend to pick up goopa shells and fling them at their enemies...
- I'm Melting: His ability.
- Leitmotif: Parade for the General
- Meaningful Rename: "Johnson McCain" is a name he picked himself, presumably because of how American and not-communist it sounds.
- The Napoleon: He considers himself the leader of the group.
- Smug Snake
- The Starscream: Being the egomaniac he is, he tries to defeat the main characters so he can prove to the Artist that he's better than Science, thus taking his position as the leader.
- Strawman Political: Described by Pily as "a slimy Objectivist jerk".
- "WE. WILL HUNT YOU. TO THE. END. OF THE. UNIVERSE. DEMO. AND. IRIS. MARK. MY. WORDS."
- Big Bad: Of Analog Funk.
- Bullet Hell: His preferred attack method.
- CAPS LOCK
- I Want Them Alive: Unfortunately, some of the other siblings are out for blood.
- Leitmotif: Two Letters, Three Numbers, and a Hyphen, The Lullaby(A2XT Remix), and Legendary Illusion ~ Infinite Being
- Mad Scientist: Of the actual sciency variety, with hypotheses such as "Demo is weak to being shot in the face" Answer: Only if she gets hit.
- Save Scumming: One of his powers. In A2XT, this is presumably why he dislikes the SMBX engine, since it does not allow savestating like ROM emulators do.
- "Hi. It's me, Calleoca. Let's have fun together later. I'll secretly join you guys, and pretend nothing ever changed."
- A God Am I: As she reveals that she was spying on Demo for the entire game.
- Ascended Extra: She attempts to invoke this in A2XT, where she mentions that she would eventually join the main characters.
- Rumia from ASMT was upgraded from being a random Touhou boss to being one of the siblings in disguise.
- Big Bad: Of Superb Demo Sisters
- Fangirl: Fan of "a strange and forgotten culture that bewilders and amuses their greatest historians".
- Perky Female Minion: By far the most sanguine of the siblings.
- So Bad, It's Horrible: Her fanfiction is "utterly deplorable", according to Mishi.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She never fights in her real form, having turned into Rumia, Utsuho, a thwomp, some sort of homing rocket, and a fishing fish guy-shaped coin so far.
- "Demo, if you could be a dear and kill yourself. I would very gladly appreciate it. Thank you, darling."
- Ambiguously Evil: In the intro to Zebraspace, Serac asks Demo to kill herself. She justifies this with the fact that Demo has died several times already, since it is, after all, a challenging platformer video game. Her reasoning behind requesting this is unknown.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: Although characters regularly break and lean on the fourth wall in this series in general, Serac outright points out the demo meter and also advertises for Talkhaus projects.
Playable ASMT Characters
A koopa who enters the Castle of No Significance on a vague mission or something. More formally joins the team in A2XT.
- Crossover: From a different Super Mario World ROM hack, Drama Mistery.
- Interspecies Romance: In his cutscene in ASMBXT he seems to have the hots for Demo and Iris. In A2XT, he actually falls in love with their sister, Pily.
A hyperactive girl who is here because... because. The other characters seldom acknowledge her existence.
- Chekhov's Gunman: She is reality's last hope... And doesn't even realise it.
- Crossover: From raocow's webcomic, Artificial Time XS.
- Hero of Another Story: In A2XT, it's implied that Sheath is off having her own adventures that only occasionally intersect with Demo and company (usually in the end-world castles).
- Running Gag: "And Sheath was there too".
NPCs from ASMT
ConA shy Yoshi who sends messages to Demo throughout ASMT.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He falls in love with Demo, but she just ignores him.
- Mission Control: He radios Demo via message boxes scattered throughout the game to give her advice (read: gameplay tips).
- Not Good with People: Con stays hidden away in his lab in the Yoshi resistance base.
The CharliesThe oppressive army that serves as the villains in ASMT. There was also a separate group of Charlies in a level in ASMBXT. Afterwards, they disbanded and went to live their own lives, some of them even working on The Master's ship in A2XT.
- Evil Army
- Heel–Face Turn: Some of them post-disbandment.
- I Know Madden Kombat: They're evil football player soldiers.
King Charles IVThe leader of the Charlie army in ASMT and main antagonist of that game. Although he seems to appear in A2XT, which takes place before ASMT, one of the story writers said there are just a very large quantity of King Charles IV's.
- Advancing Boss of Doom
- Big Bad: Of ASMT.
- Bullfight Boss
- Climax Boss: He's not the final boss, but he's a much more major story focus in ASMT, and the actual final boss is an Anticlimax Boss.
- Evil Overlord
- I Know Madden Kombat: Like the other Charlies, but more so. His football charges are utterly unstoppable and break through solid stone.
- King Mook: Visually, he's just a regular Charlie with a crown and a cape.
- My Name Is ???
- One Steve Limit: Averted. According to one of A2XT's story writers on the forums (to explain why King Charles appears and claims to have been defeated by Demo even though the game takes place before ASMT) there are a lot of different King Charleses and Demo has a habit of just happening to defeat a lot of them.
- Stationary Boss: The first phase of his boss battle is him hiding inside a giant Thwomp and shooting projectiles at you.
- "WHO DARES TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB!?"
- Anticlimax Boss: Invoked deliberately. His level is the hardest in ASMT, but he himself is so easy that it's almost impossible to lose.
- Crossover/The Cameo: Originated in Super Mario Infinity as the True Final Boss.
- Final Boss: Of ASMT.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: After you defeat King Charles, he enters the plot for no real reason.
- Large Ham
- Legacy Boss Battle: His level in A2XT is an updated version of his original fight in Super Mario Infinity, in both room designs and battle mechanics.
- My Name Is ???: A Call Back to Super Mario Infinity.
- Recurring Boss: He reappears in world 2 of A2XT. At the end of that level he claims he'll be back and, given his track record, he probably will.
The Key BossThe Final Boss of ASMBXT. After raocow had failed to kill it back in his LP of Mario Gives Up, people had been trying to figure out a way to defeat it for good.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Subverted, it's not exactly animate, but it moves around and kills things nontheless.
- Benevolent Boss: To the point that one level is A2XT is about one of its minions trying to get revenge on the cyclopses for killing it.
- Designated Villain: Invoked in A2XT by one of his minions after the Boss' death in ASMBXT. Basically, the main characters broke into the Castle of No Significance, stole all of its leeks, and killed it for no reason other than it being there. Then again, it did try to kill Mario and was responsible for this mess, so it's not like it was completely innocent.
- Final Boss
- Mythology Gag: It was most likely put into the game so that raocow would finally have to defeat it.
Parrot Boom BoomParrot Boom Boom is... uh...Well, had A2MT been completed, Parrot Boom Boom would be the final "boss" at the end of the ultrahard Brutal Bonus Level, B-Side. Like Black Plague before him, he would have randomly entered the story for no real reason.
- Anticlimax Boss: Invoked again, in keeping with the tradition of Black Plague of ASMT, except to an even greater extreme. The level that comes before is even more insanely difficult and dramatic, and Parrot Boom Boom is even easier than Black Plague to the point where he dies immediately after entering.
- Bonus Boss: (If "boss" is the right word for it, since he dies as soon as he appears after a sadistically hard level.) As seen under Gotta Catch 'Em All, his stage is only accessible after collecting every Parrot Coin in A2MT.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: He comes out of nowhere and is completely unconnected to what little storyline the ASMT universe has.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: Apparently collecting all the Parrot Coins in A2MT would have opened up his level, though the fact that the game is in pieces across several different ROMs makes this impossible.
- Outside-Context Problem: He apparently has nothing to do with Demo.
The Space Masters of SpaceA race or organization of beings who enslaved the Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demons and forced them to labor on their starships. After the A.B.C.D.s rebelled against them, the Masters wiped out their species entirely until the Artist (see below) cloned nine of them—Demo and her siblings. Demo and Iris somehow escaped the Artist and wound up in the service of one of the Masters again. The plot of ASMT is kicked off when Demo's Master sends her shopping for vegetables and a teleporter malfunction gets her lost in the Mushroom Kingdom instead.
- Big Good: Demo's Master fills this role in ASMT. Now that we have a proper backstory regarding the Masters and the ABC Ds, it's unclear whether the Masters in general will be seen as benevolent or not, given their history.
- Department of Redundancy Department
- Evil Overlord: They ruthlessly oppress the Cyclopses.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: They are never shown on-screen, though Demo's Master gets some dialog in ASMT's opening cutscene.
The ArtistThe mysterious being who recreated the Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demons—specifically, Demo and her siblings—after they were wiped out by the Space Masters of Space. The Artist's true appearance and motives are so far unknown, save that he brainwashed all of the siblings except Demo and Iris into doing his bidding.
- Bigger Bad: Behind Science.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: So far has no on-screen appearance.
- Mad Artist/Mad Scientist: A little bit of both, it would seem.
The ZebrasMassive extraordinarily powerful entities residing in the mysterious bonus world of Zebraspace.
- Animalistic Abomination: They're giant, cosmic technicolor zebras with glowing Phanto faces for eyes.
- The Corruption: Dialogue from Refuge Town seems to imply that the refugees set up the town so that people couldn't come in contact with the zebras. In the hospital, people exposed to the outside have mutated and everyone else outside of their shelter is eldritch.
- Outside-Context Problem: They have no connection to the Space Masters, the Artist, or the Cyclopses.
Other reoccurring characters in raocow's LPs
ZbambabarFrom Super Talking Time Bros.
- Butt Monkey: Has "died" a few times.
- The Cameo: Made an appearance inside the flesh-lord in A2XT.
- He also appears at the end of Spike Castle in MAGLX2.
- Crossover: Zbambabar appears in a Mario-themed Super Mario Bros X fangame. In Super Talking Time Bros 2, there are a few Kirby references. In Super Talking Time Bros 2.5, he's pretty much the only Kirby character in the maingame besides of the final bosses, Galacta Knight and Dark Matter.
- Eldritch Abomination: Implied to be one in a Make a Good Level X level.
- In-Series Nickname: Calls the Super Squad "Unca Weegie". In levels which are built around Link, he calls him "Auntie Link".
- Shout-Out: In Zbambabar's cameo in MAGLX2, he says he "saw (implied to have defeated Needle Man too) Needle Man note , but he was nothing compared to Majin Buu".