Characters: Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun
A list of characters from Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun
open/close all folders
- Back from the Dead or Not Quite Dead: All of the bead holders have crossed, or have been very close to death's door at some point in their lives.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Both his hair and eye color are brown in the manga.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Long Coat: His usual outfit.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Half of the time, he acts like this. He proves to have sharp mind at certain situations, however.
- Big Brother Instinct: Has this for Hamaji. It's the reason why he and Sousuke came to the capital in the first place anyway. He also has this for Kaho.
- The Determinator
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He was raised as a girl due to his home village's belief that it can cure his illness. Also, his adult form.
- Green Eyes: Anime only, and it fits with his status as Murasame's vessel. Has a hint of gold in them as well.
- Heroic Resolve: Still managed to crawl up to Tamazusa-hime and demand Sousuke's Duty Gem back... while bleeding profusely.
- Ill Boy: Was one in his past, and apparently he can only live on because of Murasame.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: His fear of the living dead, and dirty, filthy things (like bugs and rats) has a few people call him a "delicate girl" at heart.
- The Napoleon
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Came dangerously close to this after his row with Sousuke. Thankfully, Sousuke survived thanks to Shino's wish.
- Older Than They Look: Is suppose to be 18 but is cursed by Murasama to remain the same age as when he became his host.
- Ping-Pong Na´vetÚ: Though he's really [18 at times he truly acts like the age he appears to be. Even lampshaded at times by others. And at others he comes across as much wiser than his years and more in tune to what is going on.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When he goes after Satomi for his blood, he has bright red eyes.
- Scenery Censor: When he takes bath with Shinobu in episode 22, at one point he stands completely naked...except that Murasame conveniently covers his private part. And it is hilarious.
- Spanner in the Works: Tamazusa-hime would have successfully assimilated Fuse-hime...if it weren't for Shino's strong wish for Sousuke to live on, which Fuse-hime's spirit granted.
- Taking the Bullet: For Shinobu
- Trademark Favorite Food: Meat!
- Wholesome Crossdresser: As a child, and at one point when Daikaku tries to make a model based on him.
- Your Days Are Numbered: When he was ill as a child. It is also stated that if he were to remove Murasame from his body and become a normal boy, he would die in a few days due to the illness still intact in his body.
- Vampire Bites Suck: happens if Murasame forces him to get more blood.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
- Big Brother Instinct: Definitely has this for Shino. Also to Hamaji and Kaho to a lesser extent.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Shino.
- The Caretaker
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Prone to this in early episodes.
- Chick Magnet: Implied.
- The Comically Serious: When he is not being Deadpan Snarker, he is this.
- Deadpan Snarker and The Gadfly: Plenty of his lines has him play as Shino's long-suffering caretaker just to tick Shino off.
- Friend to All Living Things: Well, to all dogs, anyway. Yatsufusa is no exception. Children also seem to take liking to him.
- Heroic Dog
- Literal Split Personality: Ao is his other half.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Can be seen as one for Shino, which also drove the events in the last three episodes.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Shakes off even severe injuries like they are nothing. He literally can't feel pain, which can and does become a problem if he suffers a life-threatening injury without realizing it.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: His dog form may count.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia or Laser-Guided Amnesia: It is not clear which applies, but Sousuke doesn't remember a thing from his past. At one point he remembers a brief part of it, Ao is around.
- Undying Loyalty to Shino, which Shino often mentally calls him out for.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter
- Younger Than They Look: In episode 19, it's revealed that Sousuke is a minor, much to Genpachi and Kobungo's surprise.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Apparently, now that the Duty Gem has chosen Ao over him.
- Bungled Suicide: After his fiancee's death, he repeatedly attempted to commit suicide only to be stopped by Kobungo and his own immortality.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: His attachment to Shino and Cloudcuckoolander tendencies aside, he seems to be a competent officer.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Early on, he is on the receiving end of this by Seiran.
- Fair Cop
- If It's You, It's Okay: Seems to have this attitude towards Shino.
- The Lost Lenore: His fiancee, who is also Kobungo's sister. He seems to be over it VERY quickly, though. Or rather, he already exhausted himself mourning for her and decided it's about time to live.
- Love at First Sight: to Shino. Not quite first sight, but applies nonetheless considering the circumstances.
- Nice Hat: In his officer's uniform.
- Resurrective Immortality
- Shock and Awe: In demon form.
Voiced by: Takuma Terashima (Japanese), Mark X. Laskowski (English)
- Blow You Away: In demon form
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Often ends as this for Genpachi.
- Crash-Into Hello: His first two encounters with Shino have him landing above Shino's body, knocking the poor kid unconscious.
- Only Sane Man: At times.
- Real Men Cook/Supreme Chef
- Resurrective Immortality
Voiced by: Junichi Miyake (Japanese), Illich Guardiola (season 1), Ian Sinclair (season 2) (English)
- Best Served Cold/It's Personal: His unfinished business with Sousuke's shadow, Ao.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Not with a spoon but he did lose his heart with a sword... poor guy. At least Kokonoe gave him her heart.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: To the point Kobungo and Dousetsu are fooled.
- In-Series Nickname: Kokonoe refers to him as "Asakeno".
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Probably the prettiest character in the whole series.
- The Team Normal: Or as close as one of the eight dogs could be to normal. Unlike the others Keno's familiar/companion doesn't grant him any mystical abilities that he uses in combat, or outside of combat for that matter. Kokonoe just gave him her heart.
- Badass Normal: But he can still fight toe to toe with Ao.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Well, unsettling for Kobungo, anyway. To be fair, he never even attempts to hide his gender.
- Younger Than They Look: In episode 19, it's revealed that Keno is a minor like Sousuke except that Genpachi, Kobungo, Shino, and Sousuke were all surprised at the reveal.
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki (Japanese), Houston Hayes (English)
- Cowardly Lion: He doesn't react as well as other characters to the oddities going around him early on. Played for Laughs.
- Determinator: Will find his sister no matter what. Also the reason why Yukihime chose to help him.
- An Ice Person: Thanks to Yukihime.
- Long-Lost Relative: His sister Mutsuki, better known as Hamaji.
- Love Martyr: Puts up with quite a lot from Yukihime.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Let's just say he had the worst possible timing for showing up to help fight Tamazusa-hime, considering his Gem was the last one needed to resurrect Fuse-hime...
- Snow Means Death: It was snowing when he was on the verge of death.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese), Mike Yager (English)
- Abusive Parents: His real father.
- Big Brother Instinct: The first thing that came to his mind when he was near death was to get his sister's medicine.
- Disappeared Dad: His adoptive father has been missing for six months. Turns out he's already dead, but Daikaku didn't remember it due to his Trauma-Induced Amnesia.
- Happily Adopted
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has a pet cat.
- The Stoic: Compared to other characters, he doesn't have broad range of expressions.
- Third Eye: Hidden under his headband that can kill spirits.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Apparently suffers one after his near-death experience, which makes him forget that both of his fathers have died. It is unclear whether his sister also suffers it, however.
- Class Representative
- Has Two Daddies: Was raised for ten years by his father and uncle, who both seem to have considered him their son.
- Heavy Sleeper: He is noted to have this trait after his disappearance, and after Akihiko's "death", he sleeps for an entire week.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: According to his grandmother, Shinobu's father was/is a Tengu. Incidentally inhuman Dad treated him much better than his human mom ever did.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Apparently has his memories during his time with Kagetsu sealed.
- Older Than He Looks: Is technically twenty-two, but was missing for ten years during which he didn't age. Unlike Shino, he has resumed normal aging.
- Raised by Grandparents
- Taking the Bullet: When Ao is about to kill Hazuki in episode 22, Shinobu attempts to stop him.
Houses of the Sacred Beasts
- Aloof Big Brother: Has become this to Shino, in a way. And it's possible that they actually are brothers!
- Authority Equals Asskicking: A high-ranking official with the Church.
- Bishounen: Lampshaded repeatedly. It's practically the reason why he's the Church's golden boy.
- Famous Ancestor: He is the descendant of Fuse-hime.
- Long-Lost Relative: A conversation with Kaname implies that he's this to Shino.
- Another conversation implies that they're brothers.
- The Stoic
- Berserk Button: Do NOT mess with Hamaji.
- Beware the Silly Ones: One of the silliest guys you'll see in the series, and once he is pissed, you'll suddenly remember that he is part of the Four Houses for a reason.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to with Seiran's Cain.
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Knight in Shining Armor: And played not in entirely positive light. He does nothing despite knowing Seiran's Cold-Blooded Torture to Genpachi, and it isn't until one of his insects gives Hamaji a papercut that Kaname finally takes action.
- Plucky Comic Relief: When he is not pissed, he always ends as this thanks to Hamaji's attitude.
- Ship Tease: With Hamaji, who does seem to like him back.
- This Is Unforgivable!: His reaction to one of Seiran's insects cutting Hamaji's cheek in a nutshell.
- Heroic Albino
- Ill Girl
- Nice Girl
- Not What It Looks Like: At one points she walks into Sousuke sleeping on Shino's lap...to which she blushes and runs away.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- Cool Old Guy
- I See Dead People: A vague example. His brother Yuuri was originally Kaede's master but he couldn't see him. Kaede chose Nachi as his second master because he could see him.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: His familiar is a cat named Kaede.
- Settle for Sibling: He is the second master to Kaede after Yuuri rejected him.
Spirits and Familiars
- Animal Motif: A crow.
- Big Eater
- Body Horror: It is part of Shino's arm now, and when we see Murasame emerging from his arm, it is disturbing.
- Cool Sword
- Katanas Are Just Better: Especially demonic ones.
- Living Weapon
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Literally, and twice! The first time around it crashed on Shinonome's barrier, causing heavy downpour on the mountains before said guardian went berserk. The second time, it crashed on another barrier surrounding the Church, causing Lilith to come out and out for Shino's blood. In episode 22, Shino actually considers weaponising this to break the barrier in the tengu territory.
- One-Winged Angel: Any time Shino is mortally wounded, Murasame is able to take over completely, becoming a colossal, nigh-unstoppable canine demon hell-bent on devouring enough blood to undo the damage Shino sustained, most often by eating someone whole outright. Only The Power of Friendship, courtesy of Sousuke, has been shown to be able to make him snap out of it.
- Power at a Price: Its previous wielders have been said not to meet pleasant end with their lives.
- Talking Animal
- Third-Person Person
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Butt Monkey: Hamaji is quite a slave-driver to them.
- Killer Rabbit: Despite their cutesy appearance, once Kaname is pissed and wants them to kill, they will kill.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Shipper on Deck: Briefly muse with each other the episode that Hamaji moves to the school dorms that she is perfectly suitable as a future bride of Kaname.
Voiced by: Miho Arakawa (Japanese), Allison Sumrall (English)
- Animal Motif: Snakes.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Heroic BSOD: Played for Laughs. When she comes dangerously close to killing Shino and Sousuke just because they happen to step on her territory, Ayane appears and calls her "mean" while running away, causing her to briefly suffer this.
- Mystical White Hair
- Poisonous Person: Come with the Snake Goddess territory.
Voiced by: Naomi Shindo (Japanese), Carli Mosier (English)Also known as Yasha-hime.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Cool Big Sis: Is this to Keno
- The Hyena: At least, in one of the next-episode previews.
- An Ice Person
- Berserk Button: Don't hurt Dousetsu or you'll lose an arm.
- Clingy Jealous Girl/Violently Protective Girlfriend: Certainly acts like one. While she means well for wanting to protect Dousetsu, she can go overboard with those blizzards of hers. Played for Laughs.
- Curtains Match the Window: Blue eyes AND blue hair.
- Cute Mute: Lost her voice following her contract with Dousetsu.
- Shipper on Deck/Yaoi Fangirl: When Dousetsu is taken aback at Keno's beauty, she approves. This, or she is just trolling her master because she probably knows it won't end well.
- Woman in White
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Masaya Onosaka (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- Blessed with Suck: He originally chose Nachi's brother, Yuuri, to be his master but the latter could not see him. When he went to the mansion of the Sacred Beasts that had a special barrier that allowed the unseeable spirits to be seen, Yuuri was distraught with what he saw and retreated into seclusion. Thus he had to retreat his choice and chose Nachi who is able to see him.
- Butt Monkey: Mixed with the Chew Toy in episodes he appears in. Mainly in episode 19.
- Mega Neko: Can transform into one.
- The Worf Effect: When the shadow eaters ate his shadow. They spit them out later in episode 19.
- When She Smiles: He chose Yuuri at first because he liked seeing Yuuri's smiles.
Voiced by: Akira Ishida (Japanese), Eric Daugherty (English)
- Friend to All Children: Tengu are known to be fond of children. Kagetsu is no exception as he raised Shinobu.
- Papa Wolf: He gives Shinobu half of his life and died to protect him.
- Promotion to Parent: Found a dying Shinobu as a child and raised him as his own.
- Tragic Death: Dies from falling down a cliff by the monk.
Voiced by: Masakazu Morita (Japanese), Ty Mahany (English)
- Came Back Wrong: Tamazusa-hime reanimated his corpse, as a rather brutal Kick the Dog to Shinobu. And to Ao, for that matter, considering he grievously wounded Shino in a fight.
- Papa Wolf: Really, really pissed off with Ao after he hurt Shinobu by accident. He flat out states it's a parent's job to protect their kid.
- Promotion to Parent: After Kagetsu died, he is now responsible for Shinobu.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
- The Assimilator: Absorbs his victims' body parts as his since apparently he is "incomplete". Keno and Kohaku are just a few of his victims.
- The Dragon: Apparently one to the current vessel of Tamazusa-hime.
- Eyepatch of Power: He loses it later on after replacing his left eye with Kohaku's.
- Eye Scream: Had his left eye slashed through by Keno after he stole Keno's heart. This left him with a scar which he hides with an eyepatch.
- Literal Split Personality: Of Sousuke.
- Split Personality Takeover: In a sense. The Duty Gem appears to have picked him over Sousuke, which is killing the 'good' Sousuke, effectively making him the 'real' one despite being a Shadow.
- Living Shadow: Referred to as such. There are hints that he is the real Sousuke, however.
- Love Makes You Evil: Platonic or otherwise, his entire actions are driven because he wants to be with Shino.
- Master Swordsman
- Pet the Dog: He's actually genuinely nice to Kaho the one time he meets her. Also, evil though he is, Shino is someone he holds precious.
- Synchronization: With Sousuke.
- Technicolor Eyes: He actually did this on purpose, taking Kohaku's left eye because Shino thought they were pretty. He meant to collect her other eye as well, but Shino mercy killed her first.
- Villainous Breakdown: He was more than happy to help Tamazusa... until she mortally wounded Shino and decided Shino's going to be the host for her dead child.
- Bigger Bad: Or at least, would have been one if it weren't for the wrench that Shino unintentionally threw to Tamazusa-hime's plan.
- Sealed Evil in a Can/Sealed Good in a Can: By default, it should have been the latter due to the fact that she was the one who sealed Tamazusa-hime away. She came dangerously close becoming the former when Tamazusa-hime attempted to use her soul, though.
Voiced by: Masako Tatsuki (Japanese), Genevieve Simmons (English)
- The Baroness
- Big Bad
- Blondes Are Evil
- Dark Action Girl
- Demonic Possession: On two fronts. She wants Fuse-hime to take her as her vessel... and she wants Shino to be the new vessel of her deceased son.
- Freudian Excuse: See: Sadistic Choice.
- Kick the Dog: And how! Ao's seriously considers going The Starscream after Episode 12 of Season 2.
- Knight of Cerebus: Single-handedly brought the level of Darker and Edgier in the series Up to Eleven, after Episode 12 of Season 2.
- Necromancer: Created an entire horde of zombies to fight the Dog Warriors... including Hazuki, much to Shinobu's detriment.
- Nun Too Holy/Nuns Are Spooky: She was dressed like a stereotypical nun, while laying low with Ao.
- Playing with Fire
- Sadistic Choice: Had to choose which of her children would die.
Hamaji (Mutsuki Inuyama)
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Her 'dates' with Kaname are this in spades.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: A black and white dress, complete with the symbol of the Church near the bottom.
- Fiery Redhead
- Happily Adopted
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Somewhat. She is quite a slave-driver even to Shino, but she genuinely cares for him and is shown to make quick friends with Ayane and Yana. The reason she wants to go to school is so she can become a doctor and find a cure for her adoptive brother.
- Lethal Chef: An absolutely horrible cook, who can give even Shino indigestion.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Parasol of Prettiness: Kaname got her one of these, and she tends to use it while on dates in public.
- Plucky Girl
- Rapunzel Hair
- Ship Tease: With Kaname.
- Tsundere: Around Kaname, at least.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
Voiced by: Noriaki Sugiyama (Japanese), Connor Leach (English)
- Bald of Evil
- Burn the Witch!
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Kaname's Abel.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Gives a series of this to Genpachi.
- Karmic Death: At the hands of Kaname.
- Sinister Minister
- Slasher Smile
- The Swarm: Commands one of these.
Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (Japanese), Molly Searcy (English)
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold
- Go Out with a Smile
- Ill Girl: Although unnamed, she seems to suffer from late-stage tuberculosis.
- Meaningful Name: Means "amber", befitting her eye color.
- Mercy Kill: Shino has to do this to her to prevent her from losing her humanity even further.
- Peek-a-Bangs: After Ao took one of her eyes.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Subverted, as far as the 'supernatural' part is concerned. At first, anyway.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Often induces this reaction from others, and the reason why Ao took one of them.
- Disappeared Dad: See Daikaku's entry.
- Ill Girl: Suffers from asthma.
- Locked into Strangeness: Possibly what happened to her, as the flashback showed her with black hair instead of white.
- Children Are Innocent: So innocent.
- Disability Superpower/Hyper Awareness: Despite (or possibly due to) her blindness, the rest of Kaho's senses are much sharper, making her act most of the time as if she isn't blind.
- Morality Pet: Downplayed. Kaho is one of a few people Shino never gets angry at, and he also seems to be regularly concerned for her well-being.
- Also even Ao is nice to her.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Among the orphans, she is the smallest one, and her intelligence is noted several times.
- Age-Appropriate Angst: She's a fourteen year old girl who was from birth raised and treated as the living embodiment of one half of the local diety. She also was constantly made to grant others wishes without any heed to her own.
- Genki Girl: Her new found freedom from her status as a "living deity" has given her quite a bit of energy and cheer.
- Hikikomori: Since she was born, she has never left the shrine. Until she is freed from her "living deity" status.
- Hime Cut: As a Miko and Yamato Nedashiko this suits her.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Very much so; the main problem lies in that she refuses to voice or truly acknowledge said wish, which is why she and the village suffers so much. Once she does, she gets her wish.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Is very calm, cool, and composed. This is deconstructed as she's actually holding a lot back like this.