open/close all folders
- Blow You Away: Many of his special attacks are wind-based.
- Calling Your Attacks"Feel the bite of my blade! WHIRLWIND!"
- Hell-Bent for Leather: His jacket.
- Official Couple: With Alfina, as shown in the Distant Finale.
- Pretty in Mink: His jacket has a fur collar.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Receives one from Alonso after yelling at Miranda.
- Action Girl: Moreso than the other girls in this game.
- Action Mom: She's the protagonist's mother, and a party member.
- Crutch Character: A minor example; she starts out the game five levels higher than Yuki, and while the rest of the party quickly catches up to her, she remains the most powerful for quite some time, helped by the fact that she comes with a skill that does extra damage to the type of monsters fought in the first area.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her special move Force Slash.
- Drowning My Sorrows
- Knife Nut
- Older Than They Look: She doesn't look old enough to be a mother, period, much less a mother of a teenage boy.
- Team Mom
- Ambiguously Brown
- Blade on a Stick
- Loveable Rogue
- Team Dad
- What the Hell, Hero?: Delivers an impressive one to Yuki.
- Big Eater
- Calling Your Attacks"Get ready to fry, maggots! INFERNO SPIKE!"
- Dragon Rider
- Kill It with Fire: Many of his special attacks are fire-based.
- Little Bit Beastly
- Action Girl:
- Death Dealer
- Glass Cannon: Given the right magic, she can do a lot of damage, but she can't really take a hit.
- Her Heart Will Go On
- Love Hurts: Her opinion when you first meet her.
- Squishy Wizard
- Ms. Fanservice
Tropes relating to all the Guardians mostly
- Animal Motifs: Bird, dragon, goat, horse, dolphin and seemingly bird again.
- Character Death:
- Disappears into Light: How they are shown to die.
- Kill 'em All
- Off with His Head!: Gryph's and Seiba's deaths are the only two directly seen, and Emelious beheaded them both. There is no reason to believe he didn't decapitate Drak and Yoat as well.
- Physical God: They're the gods of the Grandia III world.
GryphThe first Guardian seen and their leader, she appears as a massive bird.
- Chekhov's Gun: In the end, it really is Alfina's love that turns Emellious.
- Giant Flyer: A massive bird.
- The Power of Love: Tells Alfina to never stop loving her brother right before she gets killed by said person.
- Top God:
DrakThe second Guardian seen, Drak is known as the Dragon King and resides in Dragon Valley, which is Ulf's old home. He gives the party their first orb, then is later killed by Emelious.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons
- Playing with Fire: His orb's ability is a powerful, multi-hitting AOE attack that does Fire damage.
- Blow You Away: Is otherwise heavily associated with wind.
YoatThe third Guardian the party meets, he is a massive goat that is stated to guard the entire mainland by a girl in the Baccula Settlement, but likely only takes care of the Baccula region. He gives the party an orb as Drak did, after literally shouting a Versphere closed. Emelious kills him too, but his death is never seen.
- Killed Offscreen
- The Medic: Yoat's Orb is described as the "ultimate healing power," and indeed heals the entire party and revives anyone who has happened to bite it back to full health when used.
- Punny Name: Yoat is a giant goat.
SeibaThe fourth Guardian the party meets, he is a giant horse-like being that guards the Vejas Jungle area, and like all the Guardians the party meets (with the exception of Gryph and Xorn, of course), gives an Orb. Confronts Emelious by teleporting outside of the Veja Ruins when the godkiller arrives and promptly gets beheaded.
- Horse of a Different Color
- Playing with Fire: Fire appears under him as he creates his orb to give to the party.
- Status Buff: His orb gives the effects of WOW! (fire-elemental Attack raising spell), Diggin' (earth-elemental defensive spell), and Runner (wind-elemental speed spell) to the entire party.
UnamaThe last Guardian met by the party aside from Xorn, after they are left thinking all the Guardians have been killed by Emelious. Is the only one shown in the game to not have died at Emelious's hand. Turns out she's been dead for a while and only managed to stick around because she desperately wanted to see the party and help them to defeat Xorn. Gives the party their last and most powerful orb.
- Dead All Along: Remarked on by Alfina after receiving Unama's Orb, in which she states how Unama will be able to rest now.
- Heroic Dolphin
- Time Stands Still: The effect of Unama's Orb. It works on ANYTHING that's not the player characters, even bosses.
XornSee Other for tropes relating to the Big Bad.
- Aloof Big Brother
- Big Bad: Seemingly so, but only for the earlier portions of the first disc. Then Xorn comes along.
- BFS: His Godslayer sword.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Heel–Face Turn
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- Senseless Sacrifice: His death didn't seem to affect Xorn at all
- Love Redeems
- Big Bad
- Casting a Shadow / Dark Is Evil: Seems to be darkness-themed in that his body is nearly black (due to having a Celestial Body), and one of his attacks is actually called Darkness.
- Celestial Body: Seems to be the case.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Evil Counterpart: To Gryph, since he has what appears to be feathery wings, makes a lot of black feathers appear during the windup to his Death Knell attack, and is a Guardian.
- Final Boss
- Large Ham: "SOON, THIS WORLD WILL BE MINE!!! "
- Omnicidal Maniac: He believes love to be the source of hatred and suffering. In fact, he pretty much confirms that in order to wipe love out, he has to go this path.Xorn: "All living things must PERISH!"
- It is explained that his main goal during his war with the other Guardians in the backstory that he wanted to assimilate all life into himself, creating an empty world of death. His goals haven't really changed, then.
- Satanic Archetype: Basically the Grandia III version of the Devil, as he is a Guardian who caused a power imbalance in the game's backstory by becoming to agressive and making too many power grabs, resulting in the other Guardians fighting him. During the battle he took the city of Surmania, which he ruled as its Guardian, hostage. The Guardians destroyed the city in order to defeat Xorn, but he wouldn't stay dead forever. In other words, he's a fallen Guardian who was thusly scorned by his peers, Gryph first and foremost.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: His battle with the other Guardians culminated in his defeat, but he could not be completely killed. The best the Guardians could do was reduce him to a claw and seal him in a crystal monument at the bottom of the crater in the Surmania Zero ruins. Emelious bails him out and kickstarts the plot, of course.
- Taken for Granite: A unique example in that he turns things to glass instead of regular stone. He did this to the entire Verse Realm (save for a town) and threatens the other characters' world with this. One of his attacks during the final battle even references this.
- Walking Spoiler