open/close all folders
"What a cinch."The main character of Grandia and a third-generation adventurer. Before his death, Justin's father left his son a treasured stone. Justin becomes convinced that the stone is a shard from the legendary Spirit Stone, which the Garlyle Forces is seeking. While meddling in a high-security excavation, Justin stumbles onto a hologram of a woman beckoning him to Alent, a mythical city of the long-dead Angelou civilization. He uses swords, maces and axes in battle.
- An Axe to Grind: Justin can use axes, and benefits greatly from doing so: leveling up his Axe stat grants him enormous boosts in strength and HP.
- Accidental Pervert: Feena stops short in a crawlspace on the Ghost Ship, resulting in Justin pawing at her butt. Oops.
- Chaste Hero: He's pretty slow on the uptake when Feena hits on him. Ironically, the only time Justin gets hot and bothered is when he sees Nana, Saki and Mio in their panties.
- Determinator: In the tradition of old-school JRPG protagonists. Game Arts intentionally went off in a different direction with II's Ryudo.
- Disappeared Dad: When Justin was still little, his dad met an untimely end during one of his adventures. The particulars of his death aren't revealed, since his body was never found.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Justin's Shockwave, Midair Cut, Lotus Cut, Ice Slash and Thor Cut. Spinning makes up half of Justin's special moveset.
- Goggles Do Nothing: He has a pair of goggles on top of his Nice Hat, which have no function in the entire game.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When Feena goes along with Mullen's plan to sacrifice herself to stop Gaia, Justin enters a brief period of self-doubt that's end up broken by his other allies.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: While he can use maces and axes, Justin's best weapon that only he can use is a sword.
- Improbable Age: He's a savior of the world by the end of the game, and he's just 14.
- Incendiary Exponent: His Lotus Cut attack, which is a simple flaming slash.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Justin's final weapon, the Spirit Sword, is also the most powerful weapon in the game.
- Jumped at the Call: Didn't so much jump at it as somersault over it and land on the other side.
- Oblivious to Love: He gets it in the end, but it takes him a ridiculous amount of time to realize Feena's confessing to him and he's stupidly adorable about it.
- Official Couple: With Feena, as shown in the Distant Finale. They've been busy.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Him and Sue represent these colors.
- Power Glows: Many of his special moves ham him glwoing before being unleashed
- Red Is Heroic: Red hair, and the hero of the story.
- Ship Tease: With Leen, in the Twin Towers.
- Stab the Sky: His victory pose. Some spells and special moves use it as well.
- Sword Plant: Done during Dragon Cut and Heaven and Earth Cut special moves.
- The Pollyanna: Most of the time until his Heroic B.S.O.D. in Disc 2.
- The Unchosen One: He wasn't destined to solve the Icarian legacy, he simply stumbled upon it.
Sue and Puffy
"Pretty easy, right, Puffy?"Sue is Justin's best friend from Old Parm. Orphaned as a baby, she lives with her aunt and uncle. She is always accompanied by Puffy, a gift from Justin's father who brought it from one of his adventures. Sue views herself as Justin's guardian, and resents being treated as a kid. Her weapons of choice are long-distance weapons (such as bows and boomerangs) and maces.
- Can't Catch Up: Sue isn't a bad character, but being an eight year-old isn't something glossed over by the game. As a result, Sue is much more fragile than the other characters that will join your party (except maybe Liete), her special moves are quickly overshadowed by Justin and Feena's, and she has an unique weakness: each time she is hit by an attack, Sue will be stunned for several seconds, unable to act, effectively reducing her next action turn and her overall battle performance.
- Child Prodigy: Is unusually smart for an eight year-old. She occasionally provides good insight and actually uses words like "Tyrannical" in a sentence.
- Fastball Special: The Puffy Kick special move, which has her throwing her Non-Human Sidekick Puffy at her enemies.
- Head Pet: Puffy spends so much time up there that most people assume that he's a fancy ribbon.
- Improbable Age: Something of a subversion. While Sue demonstrates unusual intellect and combat skill for an eight year-old, her experience curve is much steeper than the other characters leading to their outstripping her as the story gets into full swing. Additionally, the sheer stress and fatigue of the journey make Sue so ill that Justin and Feena force her to sit the rest of the adventure out not halfway through the story.
- Precocious Crush: Seems to have one on Justin, which makes her clear support of him and Feena strange.
- Rule of Funny: Why her healing special move is cheerleading◊.
- She Is All Grown Up: In the Distant Finale.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: She is forced to go back to her hometown because of exhaustion. Coincidentally, after she leaves and you reach the new continent, the game's story takes a much serious and darker turn.
- Tagalong Kid: This trope is deconstructed when Sue's health starts to falter. Dight's doctor insists that she return home at once, or else die of exhaustion.
- Tearful Smile: Wears this when she leaves.
- Trying Not to Cry: Wants her last moments with Justin and Feena to be happy ones, so she plans to hold it in and cry by herself once she gets home. Feena sees right through it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple in this case.
"Ha, ha ha, pretty easy!"An adventurer whom Justin and Sue meet during their trip to New Parm. Unlike Justin, she is very accomplished and something of a local celebrity. She is later revealed to be Lt. Leen's sister and an Icarian. Feena wields knives and whips.
- Action Girl: She's this world's version of Lara Croft.
- Badass Damsel: Though she's an Action Girl, this doesn't stop her from being kidnapped twice.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit exposes her navel.
- Chainmail Bikini: Perhaps justified due to hailing from New Parm, an equatorial retreat.
- Improbable Age: At 15, only a year older than Justin.
- Incendiary Exponent: The Flame Whip move.Now I'm really mad!
- Last Disc Magic: The unsealing of her Icarian wings grants her additional magic, but only in the latter part of Disc 2.
- One of these spells, Time Gate, is such a Game Breaker that Feena needs to be at Lv. 99 magic to use it.
- Last of His Kind: She's the last Icarian togethr with her sister Leen.
- Official Couple: With Justin, as shown in the Distant Finale. They've been busy.
- Power Gives You Wings: Her Icarian wings manifest themselves whenever she uses her high level special moves.
- Ship Tease: With Mullen in the Twin Towers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green in this case.
"You're no match for me."The "Knight of Dight", Gadwin is a master swordsman who runs into our Heroes on the other side of "The End of the World". Gallant and courageous to a fault, he takes it upon himself to educate Justin in the ways of a knight.
- BFS: His sword "Himmler".
- Crutch Character: Level 30, bitches.
- Duel Boss: Justin has to duel with him twice, first as a Hopeless Boss Fight and later as proper boss fight.
- Elemental Powers: Gadwin is restricted to using fire, earth and explosion type skills.
- Flanderization: While he's in your party, he is a mature mentor figure. When he returns for the finale, he is obsessed with strength and challenging opponents.
- Mighty Glacier: Powerful, but slow.
- Mistaken for Murderer: Justin's first duel against him stems from the fact his friends are missing and that he mistakes Gadwin for a cannibal who is going to eat them.
- Sword Plant: The crux of unleashing the power of his Dragon King Slice move, which is later adopted by Justin.
"Come back with reinforcements!"A humanoid whom Justin and Feena meet once crossing the ocean. He is at first suspicious of them, but they quickly gain his trust. Rapp is extremely arrogant, but this attitude masks his troubled life as an orphan.
- Catch Phrase: Says, "Take that!" in many of his attacks.
- Glass Cannon: Hits every bit as hard as Justin does, but lacks a bit in the defensive areas, especially since he starts with much lower levels than your other characters.
- Kill It with Fire: Starts with fire magic, plus has at least one special move that uses fire, as well.
- Never Say "Die": Averted. He has no problem threatening someone's life."Take that, I'll kill ya!"
- Odd Friendship: Forms one with Milda, whom his people hate.
"No problem. Whoo!"A Lainian whom the heroes meet while attempting to destroy the Tower of Doom. They start out on bad terms, but that changes quickly.
- Amazonian Beauty: Don't be fooled by her tough exterior though, she's actually a pretty sweet woman.
- Badass Normal: She's one of two characters that can't learn magic. She doesn't need it.
- Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism: In her species, males look like anthropomorphic bulls and females look like humans with Pointy Ears.
- Crutch Character: Not as much as Gadwin, but she's still a good ten to fifteen levels higher than the rest of your party.
- Establishing Character Moment: When you first meet her, she's torn the setting apart, and she immediately beats the crap out of Rapp, then turns to advance on Justin and Feena like an animal. Character established.
- However, this is subverted in that, after you get over your initial differences, she turns out to be a sweet woman.
- Odd Friendship: Forms one with Rapp, even though his race mostly hates hers.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With her "sweetheart, honeybunch" man, who is at least partially cow. If it weren't so hilarious, it'd be disturbing.
- Weapon of Choice: Swords, maces and axes.
- Younger Than They Look: Admonishes Nicky for calling her "Auntie Milda", telling him she's only 19.
"Piece-a-cake!"Guido is one of the Mogay, a bunny-like merchant race from Zil Padon. He is met a few times throughout the game and later he joins the party temporarily.
- Recurring Traveller: You meet him two times on your travels before he temporarily joins you.
- Weapon of Choice: Maces, knives and long distance weapons.
"That was an easy victory."The very person who sent Justin to his quest in the first place. Originally just a spectator with a streak for fatality, our heroes convince her to join them and change her own fate.
- Cloudcuckoolander: As expected of someone who had lived alone for all her life, Liete acts somewhat... airheaded from time to time.
- Mysterious Waif: Meeting her is what send Justin and Sue on their quest into the uncharted territories.
- Weapon of Choice: Maces.
General Baal (Voiced by Norio Wakamoto in the japanese Version)Leader of the Garlyle Forces. He seeks out the Spirit Stone to revive Gaia and become a God.
- Authority Equals Asskicking:
- Badass Cape: Which covers the tendrils given to him by Gaia's influence, that are somehow taller than even him when revealed.
- Body Horror: At some point in the past, Baal came into contact with Gaia, which corrupted his body. When you face him for the final time, he's completely degenerated into a monster.
- The Coats Are Off: Baal unveils his mutated arm during your second fight.
- Duel Boss: Justin has to duel him on top of his exploding aircraft.
- Evil Laugh: Unleashed after he reveals his plans.
- Evil Makes You Ugly: Liete claims that Baal's greed made him susceptible to Gaia's corruption.
- Eyepatch of Power: A futuristic cyber-patch.
- Insane Admiral: He devotes his entire forces to finding the Spirit Stone. None of his subordinates really fathom what they're doing, plundering ruins and covering it up for the sake of doing it.
- Large Ham
- Even more so by Norio Wakamoto.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Baal" is a name of deitific origin.
- No-One Could Have Survived That: Justin thinks he perished in the explosion of his airship. Baal later turns up again in Gaia's cradle, looking no worse for wear.
- Please Keep Your Hat On: The cloak isn't a fashion statement; Baal's been mutating for quite some time, and is concealing writing tentacles beneath it.
- Recurring Boss: He is fought three times over the course of the game.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: After Gaia completely overwhelms him and he mutates into a monster, he discards his shirt.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Once Justin decides to surrender the Spirit Stone to him, he immediately opens a pit underneath him to drop him off the Grandeur.
Son of Baal as a result of Interspecies Romance. He helps his father to seek out the Spirit Stones but performs a Heel–Face Turn with rest of the Garlyle Forces against him.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Like father, like son.
- Benevolent Boss: Unlike Nana, Saki, and Mio, he is considerate to those under his command.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His mother was a demi-human the army refers to as "humanoids".
- Worthy Opponent: He develops respect for Justin and Sue when they successfully manage to defeat the Rock Bird.
Col. Mullen's aide-de-camp. Later revealed to be Feena's sister and an Icarian, too.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Gives one to Mullen before she sacrifices herself to stop Gaia.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She sacrifices herself to stop Gaia. After Gaiga is defeated proper by Justin an company, she somehow returns back to life.
- Improbable Age: According to official texts, she's, unbelievably, 15.
- Last of His Kind: She is on of the last two Icarians together with her sister Feena.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Might be the first one.
Nana, Saki and Mio
Nana: I'll show no mercy!
Saki: Watch this!
Mio: Well now, die from this nerve gas!Recurring Bosses at the Garlyle Forces' service. They all have a crush on Col. Mullen.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Nana's the beauty, Saki's the brown. and Mio's the brains.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Magic Knight Rayearth's main characters.
- Combination Attack: When paired up together, they have access to a devastating collaboration technique.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: In their introductory scene, the girls compete to determine which one of them is a bigger sadist toward their troops.
- Establishing Character Moment: As soon as Justin and Sue show them the curator's letter to prove that they're not simply parading around the Sult Ruins uninvited, they immediately rip it to pieces and toss it down a pit.
- Improbable Weapon: Each has at least one special attack involving this. Saki uses a slapstick fan, Nana a yo-yo with a inbuilt chainsaw, and Mio uses balloons (albeit ones filled with nerve gas).
- Meganekko: Mio is the one wearing huge glasses.
- Big Bad: It destroyed the Icarian civilization, now it's coming for the rest.
- Eldritch Abomination: Especially its final form you fight.
- Flunky Boss: First form of the final boss fight against it has it being accompanied ten or so mooks.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: What it ultimately believes.
- When Trees Attack: Gaia is some sort bug-tree hybrid.