"All you've got to do is break through, to make your wishes all come true! AMAZING"Grandia III
is so far the last game in the series. Another world saving and globe trotting adventure, but this game introduces a bit more Magitek
, especially old fashioned planes.
Yuuki, an amateur mechanic and pilot, idolises the famous Sky Captain Schmidt and dreams of replicating his achievement of crossing the ocean on a plane of his own design. When his latest attempt begins to fail mid-flight (due to the unwitting sabotage of his mother Miranda), Yuuki happens to notice a young girl being chased by Bad Guys. Being the JRPG protagonist that he is
, Yuuki immediately goes to save her.
It turns out that the girl is named Alfina, who is one of the last members of a tribe (the Communicators) that can converse with the god-like Sacred Beasts that protect the planet. Yuuki joins Alfina on her search for her missing big brother Emelious, who was last seen with some incredibly suspicious characters.
Released on the PlayStation 2
, and also published by Square Enix
, but still developed by Game Arts
. It should be noted that this game was rushed through its development, and it shows.
Provides Examples Of:
- Action Girl: Miranda and Dahna.
- Apocalypse How: Turned to glass.
- Apocalypse Wow: It's already happened to the Verse Realm.
- Babies Ever After: The brief Distant Finale shows Yuki and Alfina with their child.
- Big Damn Heroes: Yuuki and Miranda protecting Alfina from Raven.
- Boss in Mook Clothing: The Desert Lord south of the watering hole in the Baccularn Desert, a boss-level enemy which has well over 10,000 HP and attacks that will almost always one-shot your characters when you first venture into the area. It also has Quake, which can target the entire party. You can talk to the man right by the gate to the desert in the Baccula Settlement, who will thankfully warn you about it. You can only really fight it with any certainty when you have some of the game's strongest spells under your belt and an average party level of 25 or above, but when you can, it is a reliable source of XP and money, dropping 4,000 each per kill. It also drops Life Seeds, which fully restores a character and raises their maximum HP when used, making the Desert Lord a lucrative enemy to kill.
- Cain and Abel: Alfina and Emelious.
- Captain Crash: Rookie Pilot Yuki has crashed eighteen planes before the start of the game. 'No. 19' crashes into the ground after your mom hides inside the plane. 'No. 20' is given to you by Schmidt. You crash it into a dragon on the way to Arcriff while trying to get a closer look at its rider, Emelious.. It's later revealed by Schmidt that none of Yuki's original 19 planes were ever going to fly anyway, due to his unsophisticated designs. Yuki also crashes a hastily made glider when the Flight Units are rendered inoperable.
- Death Dealer: Dahna.
- Distress Call: While flying around the world, your on-board radio allows you to intercept distress calls from other pilots in trouble. You can't help them, though.
- Expy: Pretty much the entire major cast is recycled from earlier Grandia games. Yuki is halfway between Justin and Ryudo, Alfina is an elven-eared Elena, Ulf is basically Rapp 2.0, Emelious is WAY too similar to Melfice, Hect is basically Liete with a violin, etc etc...
- Gadgeteer Genius: Yuki and Rotts have built 19 magic planes by themselves. Yuki's starting weapon is a wrench.
- Guest Star Party Member: Hect, of the Verse Realm.
- Heroic BSOD: Alfina gets one pretty much whenever a Guardian dies. Yuki gets one when the red roots cause all the Flight Units to stop working, meaning that he'll never fly a plane again.
- Hot-Blooded: Miranda, Ulf.
- Kudzu Plot: Yuki's lifelong dreams are twofold: build a plane that can cross the ocean to the mainland, and meet his hero Schmidt, a living legend in aviation. You do both of those half way through the first disc. After acquiring the plane, the speed in which the plot drops Yuki's obsession makes it seem like an Aborted Arc. (It's possible that he's just so satified with his plane that he doesn't bring it up ever again).
- Lady in Red: Dahna
- Also her sister, Ruilia, and Violetta, one of Emelious' henchpersons
- Loveable Rogue: Alonso.
- Magitek: Bi-planes are powered by magic engines.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: With her burning desire to reason with her brother Emelious, Alfina works as her own MacGuffin Delivery Service, as she's necessary for the completion of Emelious' incomplete Communicator Mark, which would allow him to summon Xorn.
- Obvious Beta: Many locations that were meant to be used for sidequests are sloppily Dummied Out.
- Older Than They Look: Miranda really does not look old enough to be Yuki's mother.
- Phlebotinum Breakdown: The Flight Unit, a large orange spherical gem essential to the working of any modern aircraft, does not work when red roots obscure the sky.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Alfina's communicator dress.
- Plot Armor: Over the course of the story, Yuki survives two plane crashes.
- 18 of them were pre-story. He could have broken bones and recovered by the time the story starts.
- Plot-Driven Breakdown: Alfina is kidnapped by Emelious and taken aboard his dragon. You quickly board your own plane and give chase, until... your plane loses power due to Phlebotinum Breakdown..
- Pretty in Mink: Yuki and Ulf's outfits.
- Red-Headed Hero: Dahna
- Romani: Dahna, a fantasy counterpart.
- Slap-on-the-Wrist Nuke: Certain spells involve supernovas and meteor strikes, which naturally do not affect the world in any way. In fact, one wonders how they're only able to hit one enemy at a time.
- Admittedly, the target seems to be teleported near the supernova instead of the other way around, but the others are still quite dubious.
- Space Whale: Just in the sky. One of the guardians in that game is also a giant dolphin.
- This Cannot Be!: Alfina says this after Emelious kills the first Guardian, the second Guardian, the third Guardian, the fourth Guardian, and finally when Xorn kills Emelious.
- Very Definitely Final Dungeon: Surmania, a floating fortress wrapped in Xorn's red roots.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: With all of the Guardians accounted for, you head to Surmania to face Big Bad Emelious once and for all. When beaten, he kidnaps Alfina and gets away on a dragon. D'oh.