Petit Eva: Evangelion@School
is yet another adaptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion
. This time, it's a Super Deformed comedic parody which has most of the principal cast (including Unit 01 and three Reis at once) in silly hijinks around the high school. It features no spoken (intelligible) dialogue, and rather than using traditional animation, it is done in complete 3-D CGI.
There are also assorted Yonkoma
comics (including a 3 volume manga series) and a Licensed Game
for the Nintendo DS
in the same setting. The DS game is notable for its inclusion of Rebuild of Evangelion
's Mari; it was actually the first source to reveal her first name.
Compare SD Gundam Force
, which also has a parodic take on its similarly moody, cerebral franchise.
"Petit Eva" contains examples of the following tropes:
- Accidental Pervert: Shinji AND Unit-01, after accidentally digging a hole under Asuka's skirt.
- All-CGI Cartoon
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Donít eat batteries, kids.
- Art Evolution: The characters become more chunky and stiffer looking after the first nine episodes.
- Art Shift/Medium Blending: Any and all uses of 2D animation in this series.
- Bedsheet Ghost: How Kaworu disguises himself.
- Black Comedy: In episode 19, despite the humorous action going on setting an entirely different mood, the text Misato is writing on the blackboard is about the history of Nerv. As anyone whoís watched the original series can tell you, it was not pretty. It is described by Misato thus:
THE TALE OF NERV
A long time ago, there was a big explosion. Seele, the secret society that knew this, selected Gendou. ĎThatís real sad, but isnít that the Second Impact?í [...] who asked this [...]
- The Bully: How the Angels are represented.
- Butt Monkey: Shinji...again.
- Cheerful Child: Rei 3...except when she doesn't get her cake.
- Chucking Chalk: Parodied. Shinji is sleeping in Misatoís class, prompting her to try this. He dodges the chalk. She tries again, and he dodges again. She starts throwing more and more chalks, and he dodges every single one of them. While asleep.
- Dirty Old Man: Gendou
- Dodge the Bullet: Parodied when Misato throws pieces of chalk at Shinji for sleeping, and his involuntary movements cause him to dodge them all, even when fired from a Gatling gun.
- Duck Season, Rabbit Season: Gendou employs this in one short to get Shinji, Asuka, and Unit-01 to stay on task cleaning the floor. This is actually accidental; Gendou just keeps failing to muster up the courage to give Rei a bouquet of flowers for her birthday over and over, opening and closing the classroom door over and over in gradually shorter and shorter intervals, until Shinji, Asuka, and Unit-01 finally get confused and play baseball when heís looking and clean up when he isnít.
- Finger Tenting: Gendou, naturally. And it is freaking adorable.
- Gender Flip: While technically Eva-01 was an Ambiguous Robot and therefore had no gender, it was inhabited by Yui's soul. In this version, Eva-01 is portrayed as being male. Also, Keel is apparently now female.
- Genki Girl: Rei 2.
- Giant Eye Of Doom: Creepily plastered everywhere, including on top of Tokyo-3's school.
- Lighter and Softer: It's a super-deformed EVA, what do you expect?
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Eva-00, Eva-02, AND Jet Alone get this. Even the Mass-Produced EVAs are adorable!
- Mind Screw: Some of the episodes make NO LOGICAL SENSE AT ALL. Granted, it was made by Gainax, but still... some YouTube comments indicate that the plots are even more incomprehensible than Instrumentality.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Eva-01's super boogers.
- Mythology Gag: Shinji and Asuka defeating Israfel with perfectly synchronized moves is similar to how they did it in the original Evangelion.
- Nose Nuggets: Eva-01 accidentally shoots a booger into Sachiel's face, setting of a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Perspective Flip: Episodes 22 to 24 are this for episodes 18, 19, and 21 respectively.
- Pervert Revenge Mode: Gendou and Kensuke get this from Misato for ogling Asuka and Rei.
- Pet the Dog: Kaworu pays for the cake Rei has been saving up for, only to find its price has been raised before she could show up with the (previous) sufficient amount.
- Running Gag: Quite a few:
- Defeated Angels becoming toys for Rei 3.
- A random bird pooping mid-flight.
- Misato throwing chalk at students that aren't paying attention.
- Apparently, Eva-01's greatest fear is any character's facial features individually spun around like Wheel of Fortune and having them burst into the room with a Zombie Gait.
- Sigil Spam: On everything, including toast.
- Surreal Humor
- Toilet Humor: Minor example. Shinji is shown to have had some trouble, erm, letting out the batteries he had to swallow.
- Twin Switch: Rei 2 decides to do this when Rei 1 falls sick. Of course, with their personalities being polar opposites, everyone in school is VERY confused.
- The Unintelligible: Everyone's dialogue is nonsensical babble
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Mouthless pink bears in bakeries? Gigantic hairless one-eyed lumps? Who cares?