"My name is Uzumaki Naruto. My sensei told me that a shinobi is one who endures."Naruto Road To Ninja
is the ninth film in the Naruto
franchise and the sixth film of the Shippūden
series. The film was made in lieu of Naruto's 10th Year Anniversary
and as such, series creator, Masashi Kishimoto
, personally wrote the script and supervised the movie
After a odd bout against members of the Akatsuki (including a few that have been killed), Naruto and Sakura reflect on their lives and wonder if things would've turned out differently if their roles were reversed. They get their wish when Madara (aka Tobi) suddenly appears and seemingly transports them into an alternate world where their friends personalities are different (Rock Lee and Neji are perverts, Kiba is more of a cat person, Hinata is more assertive and brash, Ino is a Shrinking Violet
, etc), Sasuke never defected and is still around (if not a bit of a playboy now), and perhaps more shockingly Naruto's parents are still alive while Sakura's were the ones who died saving the village and became the hometown heroes. As the two try to figure out what's going on and if they can get back to their world, Madara conspires with a masked ninja to kill Naruto and gain the Nine Tailed Fox from him.
Road To Ninja features the following tropes:
- Adult Fear: Minato and Kushina tend to be overprotective of Naruto due to their line of work.
- Advertised Extra: The alternate versions of the Konoha 11 are featured prominently in the promotional media, but play fairly minor roles.
- Alternate Universe: Most of the movie takes place in another world that Tobi sent Naruto and Sakura to.
- Batman Gambit: Tobi's plan. It banked on Naruto winning in a specific way so the Kyuubi's seal would be weakened in the same way it was for Kushina after his birth. Though Tobi even remarked that Naruto performed a lot more admirably than expected.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Tobi and the alternate world Masked Man/Menma.
- Big Damn Heroes: The Akatsuki of all people save Naruto during his battle with the Masked Man.
- Bizarro Universe: In the alternate world, most of the personalities of Naruto's friends are different. For example, Kiba is a cat person and Sasuke is a player.
- Most terrifying of all: Shino kills bugs. It's horrible to watch.
- Interestingly played with. Some comments and Menma's apparent changes suggest the alternate world to have been a perfect replica of Naruto's, but Tobi sending him and Sakura there caused "ripples" that changed things around.
- Book Ends: "My name is Naruto Uzumaki, Ninja"
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Menma (i.e: the masked ninja) is being controlled by Tobi
- Broken Pedestal: Minato to Naruto. When Minato says "We're human before ninja", Naruto's reminded that even though they look the same, this world's Minato is not the same Hero from his world.
- Chekhov's Gun: Minato's Thunder God Kunai. Naruto uses it to defeat a Tobi-controlled Memna, and it alerts Minato to his location.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Hinata of the alternate world, funnily enough.
- Conspicuous CGI: The inner mechanisms of the Training Grounds.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The Akatsuki vs. The Masked Man's Heavenly Beasts
- Demonic Possession: Tobi to Menma.
- Deus ex Machina: The Blood Moon Prophecy
- Enemy Mine: Naruto and the Nine Tails put aside their differences to fight Menma and his Nine Tails.
- Evil Counterpart: Menma to Naruto.
- Fanservice: Hinata...yeah.
- Fiery Redhead: Kushina as per usual. Only Naruto experiences it firsthand here.
- Final Boss, New Dimension: During Naruto's final battle with the Masked Man, the two temporarily teleport to another world where the mask comes off to reveal Menma.
- Flash Step: The Flying Thunder God Jutsu.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Menma. Curiously, he's a non-videogame example of this; coming straight out of nowhere with little backstory. It's almost as if the creators went "This movie is going well so far...oh wait, we forgot the evil Naruto, let's shovel him in!"
- Internal Reveal: Naruto tells Minato and Kushina that he isn't Menma and that he isn't from their world.
- Invisible Parents: Subverted due to the fact that the presence of the parents is a huge plot point and fuels the entire movie.
- Killed Off for Real: Zig-zagged, other important plot deaths like the Third Hokage and Jiraiya's aren't reversed in the alternate world, though some elements of Jiraiya's death have changed. However the Akatsuki are still alive
- Know When To Fold Them: When Naruto beats Menma, Tobi exits him and decides to break the illusion as it's obvious his plan has failed.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Tobi/Menma casts this on Naruto as a means to help extract the Kyuubi.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: The alternate world isn't real, it's based on a flawed version of the Moon Eye's Plan that Tobi wishes to use when he gains all of the Tailed Beasts
- Meaningful Name: Naruto and Menma. They're both Ramen ingredients.
- Menma can also be read as "Masked Demon". Guess how Menma usually appears during the movie.
- Meganekko: Tsunade of this world.
- Mirror Match: Menma turns out to be this dimension's version of Naruto
- Mama Bear/Papa Wolf: Even if its in another dimension, Naruto's parents are still quite protective of their son.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Surprisingly subverted for a Naruto movie. All of Naruto's abilities on display are ones he already acquired or had the potential to use to begin with.
- Parental Abandonment: Naruto of course, but in the alternate world Naruto gets his parents back while Sakura loses her's.
- Prequel: Episode 271 of the main series, Road To Sakura, which features the Sakura of the alternate world falling into the main dimension.
- The Plan: Two fold for Tobi. First, use Limited Tsukuyomi on Naruto and Sakura to essentially field test how the Moon's Eye Plan/Unlimited Tsukuyomi will work at a basic level. Secondly, and more importantly, have Naruto fight Menma and unleash the Kyuubi in order to weaken his seal to take the Kyuubi for himself. Second part would've worked too had the Blood Moon Prophecy not existed.
- Shadow Archetype: Menma, full blast. Considering he IS Naruto only evil, it's no surprise. He even has a move that's similar to Rasenshuriken...which of course means they clash those jutsu during the climax.
- Ship Tease: Naruto and Sakura.
- Suit Up of Destiny: Naruto leaves for the final fight by putting on the Fourth Hokage's Cloak.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Naruto actually agrees to release the Kyuubi and fight side by side for the first time because by the Kyuubi's admittance, he hates Tobi/Madara more than Naruto. So he wouldn't risk getting trapped in the alternate world by screwing over Naruto. The fact that Naruto was also in the middle of fighting an alternate version of the Kyuubi also helped matters.
- Trapped in Another World: Naruto and Sakura are sent to another world by Tobi and have to find a way home.
- Visions of Another Self
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: When Naruto and Sakura return to the real world, very little time seems to have passed. If nothing else, it's the same night. They had spent multiple days and nights within the alternate world.