- Base-Breaking Character: Jun, owing to the different sides that come out depending on your relationship with them. People who like them love how sweet, dorky and idealistic they can be, to the point some wish it was actually possible to be more than a Romantic Runner-Up for them. Meanwhile, people who hate them cite their hypocrisy, Holier Than Thou attitude and the way they try to murder you in the second game as hallmarks of a rival they Love to Hate at best or outright cannot wait to be rid of at worst.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Sem is massively popular amongst the fanbase, for being a cheeky, jovial and badass vampire with loads of Hidden Depths. The author took note of this and made him a Love Interest in the second game.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Nearly everyone was shipping their PC with Sem in the first game. Then the second game came out, and they can now be an Official Couple if they so choose.
- Love to Hate: Professor Cael, who can be described as "every Sadistic Teacher you ever had in school rolled into one". Players love pranking him with Sem, mostly because it's the only way they can get any payback.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- In-Universe, trying to convert people to the Red is considered this, and being accused of it is why Illyan is facing trial.
- It requires a bit of random generation, but Professor Cael giving the PC harder tests in the second game becomes this if they have the Ulic flaw. Deliberately making things harder for a kid with brain damage isn't just an abuse of authority, it's plain cruelty. The author has promised that this will be addressed in the third book.
- If Jun is your rival, the point they go from "irritating hypocrite" to "downright reprehensible" is the point where they try to murder you.
- Pandering to the Fanbase: The author freely admits that Sem was never supposed to be a Love Interest, but the fanbase adored him so much, she upgraded him to one for the second book.
- That One Boss:
- The dragon wraith, which will kill you unless you free Illyan from her restraints and let her handle it, which may not be an option if you don't have high enough Montage or Rosin.
- All three of the bosses in the sequel: Clay for being a Lightning Bruiser who will not hold back for a fourteen-year-old; Semryu for having powerful Ice magic and being even stronger than Clay; and rival-Jun for ambushing you in your sleep. Thankfully they're all optional.
- Unpopular Popular Character: Sem is disliked and/or feared In-Universe for being a vampire with a penchant for pranks and snark. Fans love him for the same reason.
YMMV / Way Walkers University