- Awesome Moments: Today probably the most awkward one on film. "It's Nigger! They've done it!"
- Awesome Music: The main theme is unforgettable.
- Funny Moments:
- The squadron needs to let off steam ahead of the raid. "Right, boys: off with their bags [pants]!"
- In the book, on the train to London to be decorated following the operation, one of the squadron gets very drunk. The end result: "I losht my pantsh. Very awkward. Can't shee the King without my pantsh." There seems to be a theme going here...
- Retroactive Recognition: A young Robert Shaw is Flight Sgt. J. Pulford.
- Tear Jerker: Gibson's dog's death.
- The ending.Barnes Wallis: Fifty-six men! If I'd known it was going to be like this I'd never have started.
- And later supremely understated by Guy Gibson:Gibson: I've got to go and write some letters.
- Even more so when you know that as an officer in WW2, Richard Todd had had to write those letters for real.
- A Real Life version: as of 2015, all of the members of the squadron have now passed on.
- And later supremely understated by Guy Gibson:
- The ending.
- Values Dissonance: Naming the dog after the N-word, natch.
YMMV / The Dam Busters