- Anti-Climax Boss: The last form of the B.O.W. is pretty easy, but only if you got The Gas Launcher, otherwise....
- Critical Research Failure: The manual and game state that the anti-Umbrella organisation is formed of former S.T.A.R.S. members and ex-Umbrella employees. Leon is neither of these.
- Demonic Spider: The Type 2 "Old Man" zombie hits pretty hard, they are more durable than any other zombie that isn't The B.O.W., and they are one of the few things that can hit you from range.
- Fanon Discontinuity: This game is ignored as much by fans as it is by the creators. For good reason, since it's generally regarded as one of the worst in the series and implies that beloved character Leon is killed and replaced by a B.O.W. At least, the music is great, with several memorable (for 8-bit) horror and action themes.
- God Damn Bats: Female Zombies, they do and take the least amount of damage, but they are the only thing that can poison you.
- Most Annoying Sound: *grabbed by zombie* (in overpitched voice:) DUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUN....
- Scrappy Mechanic:
- Occasionally, zombies fall to the floor, allowing you to search them. But also, they may just be downed and can grab you and pull you into another battle! To make matters worse, they probably will be the Demonic Spiders.
- And if you get pursued/grabbed by a zombie, another zombie has a chance of spawning and coming after you, and if Type 2 zombies pursue/grab you, multiple allies of the same type of zombie spawn.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Making Barry Burton a main playable character was a great idea that deserved a much better game. It wouldn't be until thirteen years later that we would finally get one.
- What an Idiot!: Leon deciding to leave a defenseless young girl in the middle of the sun deck, by herself, with zombies roaming around.
YMMV / Resident Evil Gaiden