- Captain Obvious Reveal: If you're paying attention, the reason why Lukas is ignored by everyone but Elias is easy to figure out. However, that doesn't make the film any less horrifying.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Despite garnered some acclaims throughout its festival runs, the movie went into Dump Months in its home country of Austria and only handful of audiences watched it. It only took Austrian movie goers a notice when the American trailer became viral on the internet for being "the scariest movie trailer of the decade".
- Jerkass Woobie: Elias and the mother. The one-two-three punch of Lukas's death, the divorce, and her surgery led to wildly unhealthy and abusive coping mechanisms. Lukas certainly has his own moments, but since he's Dead All Along it doesn't really count.
- Nightmare Fuel: The international traileris creepy enough.
- Spiritual Adaptation: Many people considered this as a good German-language remake of A Tale of Two Sisters to the point of often getting mistaken as an actual remake of the Korean movie.
YMMV / Goodnight Mommy