- Awesome Music: C'mon, who didn't feel badass when the game opened with those synth guitar riffs?
- Goddamned Bats: Baiters and Swarmers.
- It's Hard, So It Sucks!: When Defender was first released, it was panned for having a complex control scheme with too many buttons.
- Porting Disaster: The Atari 2600 cartridge attempted to port a console game with five buttons and an up-down stick to a system with a joystick and one button... poorly.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: Most gamers preferred Stargate (aka Defender II) when it was released to vanilla Defender.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: All of the particle and explosion effects in Defender II—especially when the Earth is blown up by every human dying.
YMMV / Defender