Barney the Purple Dinosaur are a series of internet short films produced by the Hopkinson Brothers, produced from 1994 to 2008. Many of the original shorts were uploaded to YouTube as early as 2006, but as a result of the brothers' account getting suspended two years later, the videos were later re-uploaded in 2010.
Each short revolves around the brothers' friend, Mike Deanfrasio, as he goes around his Californian neighborhood pretending to be Barney, often getting hurt or stuck in sticky situations; all of which is Played for Laughs.
The shorts can be viewed here.
Tropes related to Barney the Purple Dinosaur are:
- Black Comedy: Much of the comedy comes from watching Barney getting repeatedly maimed.
- Butt-Monkey: Barney, oh boy! This is a major source of the shorts' humor.
- Catchphrase: Barney sure does like to call the audience "boys and girls".
- The Clugmuffer has "I'm gonna get you, Barney! I'm gonna get you, Barney!"
- The Chew Toy: Barney, of course!
- Fun with Acronyms:Barney: MSN, what's that?!Clugmuffer: Must. Smash. Nuts.
- Groin Attack: Barney gets one in "Barney's Jungle Adventure".
- Happens again in "Barney's Internet Adventure".
- Hurricane of Puns: The Clugmuffer does several puns as he tortures Barney in "Barney's Internet Adventure".
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "Boys and girls, they said Don't Try This at Home, that's why I'm outside!" (rimshot)
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Barney escapes from the Clugmuffer's trailer in "Barney's Internet Adventure" by disguising himself as Boxman.
- Potty Failure: "Boys and girls, I think Barney's gonna piss his pants!"
- Punny Name: "Moe Lester".
- Self-Deprecation: Barney watching one of his own shorts in "Barney's Internet Adventure".
- Shout-Out: Plenty of shout-outs to famous viral videos in "Barney's Internet Adventure".
- Take That, Scrappy!: Practically the entire concept of the series.