The Room is a short RPG Maker horror game. In it, a nameless man who loves the occult buys an apartment for cheap, and seems to be fine for the first few days. But one night, the power goes out, and the protagonist finds himself trapped inside his own apartment with a strange presence.
Can be downloaded here.
Warning: due to the short length, spoilers are unmarked!
This game contains examples of:
- Big Bad: The Unholy Soul is the entity who trapped the nameless protagonist in his apartment in order to possess him.
- Downer Ending: The True End has the protagonist fail to fight off possession by the Unholy Soul, who uses him to lure in another victim.
- Earn Your Bad Ending: The True End that you have to go through the entire game to get is a Downer Ending where The Bad Guy Wins and uses Demonic Possession on the protagonist, seeking out his next victim. The Good End, by contrast, can be achieved before the gameplay even begins and simply requires you to not answer the phone.
- Hollywood Satanism: The Big Bad, the Unholy Soul, is a Satanist who killed several children as part of a ritual to possess the body of a child.
- Minimalist Cast: The unnamed protagonist and antagonist are the only main characters, and the only other characters are the mother of the protagonist and an NPC in the True Ending.
- Multiple Endings:
- True End: The protagonist encounters the Unholy Soul and tries but fails to fight him off, getting possessed. The Unholy Soul meets another person in the library and prepares to make them his next victim.
- Secret End: Also known as the Good End. If the protagonist does not answer the phone, he sleeps and never encounters anything.