Modern Day Scenario II is a popular Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday modification that brings the World War II-era video game to the Turn of the Millennium and the events of The War on Terror. Currently in beta for Darkest Hour 1.03, it is one of the most extensive conversions of Hearts of Iron II undertaken, with dozens of new countries, hundreds of new technologies and thousands of new events, ministers, graphics and models.
This Game Mod provides examples of:
- Anonymous Ringer: Extremely averted. Every nation on Earth is present (aside from micronations like Liechtenstein and the Vatican), with numerous projects by fans and modders in order to attempt to make their ministerial cabinets, events and military leaders as accurate as possible.
- Artifact Title: A downplayed one — the startdate hasn't been changed since the original version, so the real world's modern day keeps getting farther and farther away from it.
- Middle Eastern Coalition: The Islamic Alliance, a third alliance replacing the European Union (which in turn replaced the Comintern and will be partly merged with the Coalition of the Willing into NATO), which rather peculiarly seems to be led by the Shiite Iran and can consist of both Sunni and Shiite nations (the mod implies that it may be an inferred Enemy Mine against the US and Israel through).
- Mythology Gag: One of Russia's options in response to Litivenko's whistleblowing is "It's probably just harmless talk," just like in the infamous White Lotus Rebellion event in Europa Universalis II.
- No Campaign for the Wicked: Regardless of your view on who is "the wicked", this trope will be averted, seeing as it is following the Hearts of Iron tradition of allowing players to take command of virtually any nation on Earth.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Played with, while most events of the 21st century are accurately portrayed, it goes into alternate history with the Orange Revolution causing a Civil War in Ukraine and Romania going to war with Moldova.
- World War III: In this case, between the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and NATO, starting around 2008-9.
- Turn of the Millennium: The game is set in the 2000s, though the game is planned to extend to the 2050s or so.