The year is 1950. It has been nearly 7 years since the end of the Second Weltkrieg, and the collapse of both the Reichspakt and the remnants of the Entente at the hands of the Third Internationale and the Russian State. The liberal capitalist world order had utterly disintegrated in the face of new ideological radicalism, with only a few small pockets of the old world left remaining.
In its place, two geopolitical blocs dominated the new world: the International Workers' Armed Forces (INFOR), a military alliance of Western European socialist republics created to facilitate the rise of socialism around the world, and the Saratov Pact (SARPAC), a sphere in Eastern Europe carved out by the Russian National Republic to defend Russia's interests and stem the growing tide of socialism. As dust settles over Europe, INFOR and SARPAC have turned their gaze to each other as threats to their ideological dominance over the world, leading to the start of a new kind of war, a Cold War.
The old world may lie shattered and broken, but two new ones yet struggle against each other to be born. Will the world rise up in Revolution, heed the call of National Republicanism, or stick steadfastly to the dreams of a past no longer present? Only time will tell what the day at the end of the Red Night will bring.
This Game Mod provides examples of:
- Adaptational Heroism: Earl Browder, who in Kaiserreich is a Joseph Stalin Expy who goes From Nobody to Nightmare, is a far more reasonable potential leader of the Commonwealth of America, who simply suffers from Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids! in regards to the decentralized syndicalist economy.
- The Alliance: INFOR are an alliance of socialist nations opposed to the far-right dictatorships in SARPAC propped up by Russia.
- Allohistorical Allusion:
- The Cold War, fought between the victors of the Second Weltkrieg, in general is a mirror of the OTL Cold War, only with the ideologies swapped. Instead of liberal democracies in the west and the Soviet Union with its allies in the east, the socialist governments are in the west and Russia and her allies are right-wing.
- East Germany is run by a far-right government who claim that Germany was "stabbed in the back" by Jews and homosexuals. Sound familiar?
- All Nations Are Superpowers: Played with. There is no overarching hyperpower who wields more influence than any other state, but there are great powers that struggle for influence.
- The Empire of Japan is technically the most powerful of all major powers as it's the only nation to not wage a destructive war in its sovereign territory. As such, with an intact industry and an expanded market by gobbling up German colonies into its sphere of influence, Japan has the largest navy and a thriving economy.
- Alternate History: Beyond being an unofficial sequel to Kaiserreich where Germany won the first world war, Krasnacht is an alternate history to the OTL Cold War between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, with the factions flipped.
- Atomic Hate: Interestingly, neither INFOR nor SARPAC are nuclear powers; nuclear development is still in its infancy for both superpowers.
- Balkanise Me: Just like in real life, after its defeat in the Second Weltkrieg, the German Empire was divided in two by their victorious allies, though West Germany is left-wing and East Germany is right-wing this time, in contrast to real life.
- Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Elizabeth Flynn is the First Secretary of the Commonwealth of America, though she's set to retire at the beginning of the game.
- Chummy Commies: INFOR and its aligned nations are the bastion of socialism in the world and the main opponents of SARPAC on the global stage.
- Demoted to Extra: Played with in regards to syndicalism. It still exists but rather than being its own ideology, it has been split into various ideologies though libertarianism is the one closest to the main game's concept of syndicalism. Played straight with Totalism, which has completely vanished into irrelevance by 1950 (the game starting date).
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Technically this the role of Social Nationalists and National Republicans, however as they each represent socialism and far-right nationalism respectively, they only want the right sort of people in power.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Much like in the home game, the far-right Saratov Pact, led by Boris Savinkov's Russian National Republic, is the closest analogue to Nazi Germany in terms of political relevance, though its actual state ideology, National Republicanism, is quite different from OTL National Socialism (Savinkov himself is somewhere between Franco and Mussolini rather than Hitler).
- Portmanteau: "Krasnacht" is a combination of the Russian word "krasnaya" ("red") and the German word "nacht" ("night").
- The Remnant: The remnants of the British and German Empires in their Southern African colonies have banded together into a single, isolated faction, trying to hold on to what they have.