One or two players wander around a 9x7 grid of squares, and press the fire button to find out what's in that square. It may be the flag, or a hint about where the flag is, or a bomb that sends them back to their starting square.
There are 10 variations:
- 1: Free For All: Both players move in real time.
- 2: Double Two-Player: Players take turns moving and checking a square.
- 3: Double Two-Player with a moving flag that bounces off the edges of the screen.
- 4: Double Two-Player with a moving flag that wraps around the screen.
- 5: Solo Two-Player: Players take turns moving and checking until they find the flag.
- 6: Solo Two-Player, moving flag with wall.
- 7: Solo Two-Player, moving flag with wrap-around.
- 8: Single Player Timed.
- 9: Single Player Timed, moving flag with wall.
- 10: Single Player Timed, moving flag with wrap-around.
Flag Capture provides examples of:
- Capture the Flag: A very primitive and incomplete example. Two players just wander around checking squares for the flag.
- Cartoon Bomb: Hidden among the squares, they blow you back to your starting point.
- Color-Coded Multiplayer: Player 1 is green and Player 2 is red.
- Competitive Multiplayer: Games 1-7 are for two players, competing to find the most flags.
- No Plot? No Problem!: No reason given for why you're hunting the flag.
- Scoring Points: Games 1-4 and 8-10 give you one point for each flag you find. First player to 15 points in games 1-4 wins. Games 5-7 give you one point for each square you check, and the first player to 75 points loses.
- Timed Mission: Games 8-10 give you 75 seconds to find as many flags as you can.
- Wrap Around: All variations allow player movement that wraps around both horizontally and vertically. Some variations have a moving flag that also wraps around.