The basis of the game is to fish and progress to new areas. It contains multiple states with popular fishing spots, and allows for multiplayer play. The base version is free, but it has multiple DLCs available.
Fishing Planet contains examples of:
- Boring, but Practical: If you are going for only trophies to climb the leaderboard it is arguably faster to go for bluegill, witch is the most boring fish but there are a lot of trophy ones.
- Cap- There is a limit on being able to keep fish size and weight limit of total fish. Depending on the net or fish cell it can be around ten to over 100.
- Character Customisation: The customisation is very limited. You get to choose between character color, certain faces, and facial hair.
- Difficult, but Awesome: The reel Rods for some people. Harder to control, if you don't know what you are doing, but you get much bigger fish most of the time, again if you know what you are doing.
- Game-Breaking Bug: A good few on ps4 since it just recently came out, inability to catch fish with reel pool sometimes is a bug, or the fish rate suddenly being so high you get a fish as soon as you cast for an hour. The rates on ps4 seem to not be completely balanced.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The point of the game, you catch as many fish and the best fish possible. Variety is better since than you can have a record for each fish.
- Guide Dang It!: It doesn't tell you much about how to use the reel rod and what to buy, just the basics of the game.
- Hide Your Children: There are no children fishing, you can't play as a child. That would be wierd.
- Heroic Mime: The protagonist (Player Character) and all the other average PC's of other people do not talk. Makes sense because it's not exactly a game with plot.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Descriptions of items and tips seem aware it is a simulation game.
- Limited Loadout: Semi-averted. The amount of things you can have in your house is unlimited while what you can have on your character is limited to 1 of each equipment in each of the two load outs, and multiple of baits, hooks, lures, exc. Though it is a limited amount.
- Rpg Elements: You have to level up to unlock certain baits, lines, exc.
- Scenery Porn: At a certain time of day the water shines and it is bright around the trees.
- Simulation Game: Undoubtedly a simulation of fishing.
- Unexpectedly Realistic Gameplay: While not accurate fish catch rate unless the river is filled to the brim, it is way more realistic than expected. Sometimes can be annoying when the line snaps but immersive.