Digamma: The ancient Greek letter ϝ, offering a /w/ sound, which fell out of use from the various dialects around 1000 BC. It was rediscovered by the English scholar Richard Bentley, who used it to explain odd aspects of the meter in Homer. Also stood for the number 6 in the ancient Milesian numeral system (thanks to its handwritten appearance, it was eventually conflated with a ligature of a lunate sigma and tau, the stigma: ϛ).
Oh, you wanted to know about the person? In that case, Digamma is a troper turned contributor. As for random info, ϝ has recently been lurking about the mythology areas of this wiki, particularly Greek and Roman mythology. Additionally, Digamma is sometimes prone to understatement, enjoys the use of third person, and defies personal pronouns — the troper will simply refer to ϝself with the Greek letter.
A note on the focus on mythology: as many of ϝ's favorite series are well taken care of on here, Digamma enjoys focusing on more unknown/forgotten works from Ancient Greece and Rome. Like the six lost epics of The Trojan Cycle, for instance. That way, anyone vaguely curious about the more obscure stuff can read about it here. Ϝ intends to add many other ancient works eventually, including far more of the tragedians' existent plays.
While roaming the wiki, Digamma has a tendency to offer some Wiki Magic to help support pages in need of it. Alternatively, ϝ might just add a work to Needs Wiki Magic Love if ϝ really knows nothing about it. In the case of a work, after all, There Is No Such Thing As Notability.
Contributions Digamma has made include:
- The initial entry for Ovid's Metamorphoses.
- Expanded the entry for Ovid himself.
- The initial entries for Euripides's Alcestis, Bacchae, and Hippolytus.
- The initial entry for The Trojan Cycle.
- Also the Laconic entry.
- The initial entry for the Batrachomyomachia.
Edits Digamma has made include:
- Various edits, often in sections to do with mythology.
- Other edits, in utterly random sections, really — usually a matter of indexing pages, italicizing work titles, or fixing up grammar and spelling.
- Edited the Time Bomb trope to make it Self Demonstrating.
- Also created the Laconic Time Bomb entry.
- Has lately been helping out with example sorting, and has fixed up the following pages:
- Nothing Can Save Us Now
- Too Powerful to Live
- Warrior Monk
- Numbered Homeworld
- Title by Number
- Everything's Better With Rainbows
- To Hell and Back
- The Philosopher
- Fake Kill Scare
- Animate Dead
- Ghost in the Machine
- Universe Concordance
- The Verse
- If I Had a Nickel
- I'm Your Worst Nightmare
- Double Agent
- L Atalante
- Mr Bug Goes To Town
- Mr Deeds Goes To Town
- The Girl Cant Help It
- Mr Magoo
- Dr No
- La Jetee
- What Ever Happened To Baby Jane
- Dr Strangelove
- Hello Dolly
- Mc Cabe And Mrs Miller
- The Adventure Of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother
- Dont Look Now
- One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
- The Handmaids Tale
- The French Lieutenants Woman
- Absalom Absalom
- All The Kings Men
- Les Miserables
- Uncle Toms Cabin
- A few other things which Digamma seems to have forgotten. Ah well.