Mechana can we do it? We animal mechanical can!
An adventure series for preschoolers, Animal Mechanicals presents us to a place like no other, a "snap-together-take-apart" world were everything transforms.
In this world the Animal Mechanicals; Rex, Unicorn, Komodo, Mouse and Sasquatch, are faced each day with a new mission from Island Owl, and are sent to help the inhabitants of their world. Each adventure has a variety of small challenges to overcome on the road to "Mission Accomplished". The challenges vary requiring the Animal Mechanicals to use their wide array of unique transforming "Mechana" abilities to finish the job.
No, this has nothing to do with Marilyn Manson. Thankfully.
In 2019, the series was revived through the release of new nonverbal web-shorts produced by Wild Brain Spark Studios, a subsidiary of Wild Brain that produces original content for the Wild Brain Spark network.
This show features examples of:
- Animal Superheroes: The titular characters are mechanical beasts - a T-Rex, a unicorn, a komodo, a sasquatch, and a mouse.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: A lot of time, the mission goes off track because easily-distracted Sasquatch has trouble paying attention to what he's doing; usually, Komodo winds up getting inconvenienced by this.
- Badass Baritone: Sasquatch, being the resident Big Guy, has this.
- Big Eater: When Sasquatch's belief that he can muscle his way through things despite whatever buzzing noise to the contrary Komodo might make don't slow down the team, Rex's appetite does.
- Blow You Away: This, along with flight, are Unicorn's special powers.
- Calling Your Attacks: Calling your skills.
- Catch Phrase: "Mechana can we do it?" "We Animal Mechanical can!"
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Rex is green, Komodo is red, Unicorn is pink, Mouse is yellow, and Sasquatch is blue.
- Cool Big Bro: Komodo and Rex function as this for Mouse. Unicorn is a Cool Big Sis. Sasquatch, on the other hand, fits more under Papa Wolf to Mouse, given that he's the oldest team member.
- Do-Anything Robot: Komodo's special power is sprouting gadgets for the appropriate situation from his tail.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Rex, naturally.
- Flight: Unicorn's main special power.
- Floating Continent: Every island the team visits is this. They even live on one.
- Glad I Thought of It: In a rare downplayed version, Sasquatch does this to Komodo frequently, albeit unintentionally. Usually after being smacked around by the problem of the day, Sasquatch will usually quote a plan that Komodo tried to inform him about moments before the accident.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Almost every episode follows the pattern "Mechanica (noun) Island" or simply "(Noun) Island". The only exceptions are "Turbo Bean Trouble", "Cow Castle Hassle"' "Pop Apart Penguins", "Jigsaw-Shark Puzzle", "The Elephant Train", and "Pace Race".
- Nerd Glasses: Komodo's eyes are shaped like these.
- Oblivious to His Own Description: Certain situations will elicit a conversation like this:Team: If only we had someone who could stretch that far... (everyone turns to Sasquatch, resident Rubber Man)Sasquatch: Yeah... but who could that possibly be? (beat) I know! The Mighty Sasquatch can stretch that far!
- The Owl-Knowing One: Island Owl always gives the team their daily mission.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: In "Pop-Out Panda Island", the Mechanicals help the Pop-Out Pandas climb Slip-Slide Mountain to get to the bamboo.
- Papa Wolf: If Mouse gets scared on a mission, Sasquatch is usually the first one to comfort her.
- Rubber Man: Sasquatch's special power is the ability to stretch his arms and legs to super long lengths. He does have a stretch limit though, and the longer his limbs reach, the less strength they have.
- Running Joke: Komodo warns Sasquatch of something, he does it anyway, and he repeats what Komodo said.
- Silence Is Golden: Employed full-time in the revival. There is only non-verbal grunts, groans and cries from the characters, rather than dialogue.
- Super Senses: Mouse's radar dish ears gives her super hearing.
- Super Speed: Mouse's main special power.
- Super Strength: Rex's special power.
- Telescoping Robot: Sasquatch with his stretching limbs.
- Tomboyand Girly Girl: Mouse is the tomboy, being more rough and tumble in attitude and ability. Unicorn is more refined in her behaviour, and using her special powers requires finesse.
- Transformation Sequence: This showcases how the Animal Mechanicals upgrade their bodies for wielding their special powers.
- Transforming Mecha: Transforming animal-like mecha, to be precise.