- Dawson Casting: While Claire claims to be 19 years old, her actress Cynthia Preston was 26 when the movie came out.
- Defictionalization: The song "Claire"—Desmond Howl's newest hit in the book and a potential hit in the film—ended up being the Rheostatics' biggest in in real life, reaching #61 on the Canadian singles chart and winning a Genie Award (Canada's equivalent of the Oscars at the time) for Best Original Song.
- The accompanying soundtrack album, Music from the Motion Picture Whale Music, could be considered a real-life version of Desmond's magnum opus.
- Fake Brit: The Canadian Kenneth Welsh plays the very British record executive Kenneth Sexstone.
- Non-Singing Voice: Though Desmond is played by actor Maury Chaykin, the voice that comes out of him while recording the lead vocals for "Claire" is that of Rheostatics bassist Tim Vesley.
- In fact, this applies to every other Howl Brothers/Desmond Howl song in the movie; Rheostatics did all of them.
- Unintentional Period Piece : The movie was released in 1994, and the fashion choices of the female characters are quite reflective of this.
Trivia / Whale Music