- Colbert Bump: Together with Ferris Bueller's Day Off, this movie provided a huge amount of newfound international publicity for "Oh Yeah" by Yello, to the point where the two films turned the song into the duo's One-Hit Wonder outside of their native Switzerland and galvanized it in popular culture as the song for greasy excess and sleaziness.
- Creator Backlash: John Hughes actually disliked the TV adaptation and actually tried to block its release.
- What Could Have Been: Kristy McNichol was originally given the role of Christy. However, she was fired shortly before filming, as the crew found her difficult to work with.
- The original script was much raunchier and more R-rated, involving a plot where the main character falls in love with his boss' prostitute.
- A sequel was in the works but eventually shelved.
Trivia / The Secret of My Success