- Acting for Two: Jack Coogan played several roles in the film, as a bum who picks the Tramp's pocket, as the Devil in the Heaven sequence and as a party guest.
- Creator Breakdown: Charlie Chaplin suffered through a divorce from his first wife, Mildred Harris, while shooting this film.
- Enforced Method Acting: For the scene in which the Kid is taken from the Tramp and nearly carted away to a workhouse, Charlie Chaplin stated in his autobiography that the young Jackie Coogan was made to cry by his father, who told him that if he would not cry in the scene, he would be sent to an actual workhouse. Said on-set mistreatment led to the implementation of The Coogan Act.
- List of Films You Should See By the Age of 14: #22
- Real-Life Relative: Jackie Coogan's father Jack played several roles in the film.
- Charlie Chaplin's future wife Lita Grey plays an angel.
- Working Title: The Waif.
- Write What You Know: The film was loosely inspired by Charlie Chaplin's own childhood.
Trivia / The Kid (1921)