- Casting Gag: Paul Freeman had starred in Raiders of the Lost Ark as a Nazi collaborator. Here he plays a rabbi who is imprisoned by the Nazis.
- Dawson Casting:
- Averted with Kirsten Dunst, as Hannah is aged up from twelve in the book. She's shown driving which means she's at least seventeen, which is the age Kirsten was at the time.
- Played straight with Brittany Murphy though. She was twenty-two at the time. Rivka's age is not stated but she's clearly meant to be around the same age as Hannah.
- Dyeing for Your Art: A few of the female extras had their hair cut off on screen. Averted with the two leads, who wore wigs.
- Fake Nationality: In the film, American Brittany Murphy and British Daniel Brockelbank as Polish Jews. Louise Fletcher as well.
- Playing Against Type: Heavily for Brittany Murphy who became best known for Adorkable Everyone Loves Blondes in romantic comedies.
Trivia / The Devil's Arithmetic