- Creator Backlash: Director Juan Piquer Simon was not happy with the Executive Meddling (see below) and how much of the final film got changed.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Tommy's dubbed voice was provided by a woman.
- Executive Meddling / Follow the Leader: According to Mental Floss:The Pod People was originally conceived as a straight-up alien invasion horror film. But while Los Nuevos Extraterrestres (the Spanish productions original title) was still being filmed, Steven Spielberg released a little film called E.T. that became a blockbuster hit. The money people behind Pod People demanded several script changes at the last minute (add a cute kid and make the alien more adorable!) in order to make the movie more E.T.-ish, which partially accounts for the disjointed feel of this film.
- Fake American: The movie itself. Even though it's a Spanish-French coproduction, the filmmakers seem hell-bent on convincing us it's set in America, if the Red Sox pennant on Tommy's wall and portrait of Ronald Reagan in the poachers' cabin are anything to go by.
- Follow the Leader: The film was blatantly trying to cash in on the success of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
Trivia / Pod People