- Actor-Inspired Element: Katharine Hepburn had the costume designer copy a dress her grandmother wore for one of Jo's costumes.
- Dawson Casting: Applies to all the March sisters. Katharine Hepburn was 26 as the 15-year-old Jo, Frances Dee was 23 as the 16-year-old Meg, Joan Bennett was 23 as the 12-year-old Amy. Jean Parker was a little better, as she was 18 playing the 13-year-old Beth. Douglas Montgomery was also in his mid-20s playing the teenage Laurie.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Joan Bennett was pregnant playing the very young Amy. She hid it from most of the producers, and the costume designer had to keep making alterations as filming went on.
- The Other Marty: Louise Closser Hale filmed some scenes as Aunt March, but passed away in the middle of filming. Edna May Oliver took over.
- Star-Making Role: Although Katharine Hepburn already had an Oscar for Morning Glory, it was the whopping success of this that marked her as an A-list star. Her performance here also won over many detractors who hadn't liked her previous work.
Trivia / Little Women (1933)