In the Shadow of Man is a roleplay created by troper Arcada 188. The plot involves animals of all different species trying to escape to a world free of humans. Whether or not that world actually exists is unknown.
The crew consists of a tegu lizard named Arkady, a mouse named Milo, a raccoon named Leonardo, and a clan of cats lead by a cat named Nightstar. However, just because it's a story of talking animals doesn't mean it's all skips and dances underneath a rainbow. Things get dark.
This roleplay provides examples of:
- Absolute Xenophobe: The Elder Parrot.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Milo, despite being the youngest of the group, tries to help as much as he can.
- An Arm and a Leg: Jericho implies he lost a leg to Nightstar, though being a Spider, it isn't nearly as severe as most examples of this trope.
- Also, Soy, who lost his legs to Leonardo. It causes Leo massive guilt.
- Ax-Crazy: Berno is this and then some. To the point he happily sets a forest on fire.
- Humans Are Cthulhu: The most prominent theme of the story.
- Master Race: The Cult of Skin, a group of parrots which seeks to replace humanity as the dominant species. It leads to them killing all humans in a town.
- The Promised Land: What the characters are going after. Of course, it may just be a myth.
- Religion of Evil: The Cult of Skin is revealed to be this. They took over a town and brutally murdered its human inhabitants.
- The Sociopath: Berno, oh so much. He gleefully kills several animals and munches on a human's corpse and tells Milo, a child, about it; after which he burns down Milo's hometown, forcing the main characters to escape.
- The Snark Knight: Jericho.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Leonardo and Berno can both be considered this. The Cult of Skin also have their moments.