Toby gets caught in the crosshairs when a troll goes missing and the city cracks down on crime. An ancient voice refuses to be silenced.
- Continuity Nod: When a police officer finds Toby out in the alleyway, he notices that he is the same kid that allegedly had no bones.
- Destroy the Evidence: When she realizes that the phonograph actually can contact Morgana, Usurna is quick to dispose of it for fear that it would be used to compromise their positions in Gunmar's ranks.
- Human All Along: The various burglaries and thefts were not caused by a troll. Turns out it was a bunch of human robbers completely unassociated with the shows main crisis (except for the cat-napping, of course).
- Make-Out Kids: Darci kissing Toby seems to go on for a little too long for Claire and Jim's liking.
- Not Me This Time: For once the Trollhunter's are dealing with mundane human criminals instead of evil magic trolls.
- Not What It Looks Like: Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Toby winds up getting blamed for (or being associated with) the various burglaries around town.
- Oh, Crap!: Tobys reaction when he realizes the super scary detective interrogating him is the father of the girl he is dating.
- Overprotective Dad: While he has every right to suspect Toby of committing some sort of crime, it is clear that Detective Scott is using his authority to intimidate him because he is dating his daughter. He even says that he would let him off easy if he breaks up with Darci.
- Perp Sweating: Detective Scott combines this with Twerp Sweating when interrogating Toby. When he accuses Toby of standing Darcy up, Toby points out that happened because Detective Scott arrested him.
- Police are Useless: After getting a lead about the criminals being in the sewer, Detective Scott goes in. Alone. Without backup. This leads to the robbers ambushing him, and the trollhunters stepping him to save him and Toby.
- Prefer Jail to the Protagonist: The robbers run to the cop car, begging to be arrested after encountering AAARRRGGHH!!!.
- Red Herring: The Trollhunters assume that Glug has gone on a crime spree since she likes eating cats and collecting shiny things. It turns out that while she ate the cat that went missing, the rest of the thefts were not on her.
- Speak of the Devil: Usurna does not hear Morgana through the phonograph until she says her name various times in vein, with Morgana asking for them to "call to [her]."
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: When Jim asked Claire something, she suddenly screamed that she doesn't know where the missing signs out.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Glug missing curfew to eat a cat and get more items for her tub leads to the Trollhunters assuming that she's responsible for the recent crime spree.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Claire has one when a rat lands on her head in the sewers, having already felt nauseous from her illness as is.
- Wham Shot: Claire discovers the various missing campaign signs under her bead, briefly having a vision of committing the deed too.