Air date: October 4, 2017 (UK)
Edward is puffing down the line when he meets Philip. James speeds past the engines and Edward tells him to slow down. We later find out James' brakes do not work because of the lack of brake fluid. The episode then shows James crashing into Tidmouth Sheds from the previous episode again.
That night, The Fat Controller comes to the shed and tells Edward that he have to sleep somewhere else because of the damage when James had bad brakes. Philip, who is nearby, suggests Edward that he can sleep in his shed near Wellsworth. Edward goes to Philip's shed, but Philip keeps on talking until morning. Edward did not get any sleep. He goes back to Tidmouth Sheds to see how the repairs are going. The Fat Controller tells Edward that the repairs will take a week. That night, Edward sleeps at Brendam Docks. Edward begins to fall asleep, but Salty starts singing sea shanties in his sleep. Porter reveals to Edward that Salty sings Sea Shanties in his sleep every night.
The next morning, Edward meets Phillip, who says how fun it was that Edward slept at his shed, and then starts talking obnoxiously about it. Edward leaves as soon as the the signal goes green, making Philip a little sad. That night, Edward sleeps at the Steamworks. He manages to doze off, but suddenly woken up as Victor, Kevin, and the workmen are repairing James. Edward leaves the Steamworks. He tries sleeping on a ship, but is awoken by the ship's horn and sea water splashes on his boiler. He then tries sleeping at Ulfstead Mine, but then the men start blasting. He finally tries sleeping in the forest, but can't get to sleep because of owls hooting multiple times. The next morning, Edward is very tired. He falls asleep as he pulls into Knapford. He is about to collide into Percy, but Philip wakes him up with his horn. He thanked Philip and Philip says that it's sad that Edward does not like sleeping in his shed. Edward says he likes sleeping there, but needed sleep because of Philip talking. Philip apologises and asks Edward to sleep in his shed tonight. He promised not to talk. That night, Edward falls asleep. Philip is about to wake him, but remembers not to talk during that time.
The next day, Edward returns to see the sheds fixed. Philip says how much he enjoyed Edward staying and wishes he could stay again. Edward says he could stay another night, and The Fat Controller says he can stay permanently at Wellsworth. Edward agrees to stay. In the end, both Edward and Philip happily go to their shed. The other engines will miss Edward and wonder who will take his berth.
This episode contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: The sheds have been repaired, but Philip will miss Edward as he enjoyed his company, so Sir Topham Hatt lets Edward stay with Philip at Wellsworth sheds permanently, which disappoints the rest of the Steam Team as they are wondering who will take the empty berth.
- Call-Back: Philip tells Edward of the time he raced Gordon and rescuing James.
- Continuity Nod:
- This episode picks up right where "The Fastest Red Engine On Sodor" left off, where James destroyed Edward's berth which kicks off the plot.
- The episode also shares a similar plot with "The Frozen Turntable"; an engine has to find someplace else to stay, but rather than only one berth accessible, one of the berths has been damaged.
- Foreshadowing: After Edward leaves the group, the rest of the Steam Team wonder who will replace him at Tidmouth Sheds. This was hinting towards the impending arrival of Nia, who moved from Kenya to Sodor at the end of Big World! Big Adventures!, and she officially takes Edward's place in the following season.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Edward can either go back to Tidmouth Sheds or stay with Philip, who really enjoyed his company. He chooses the latter.
- Motor Mouth: Philip, as usual. In the end, he learns not to talk too much around Edward.
- Negative Continuity: In this episode, the Steam Team is each given a separate berth to sleep in, whereas several episodes show them sleeping in different berths, and is inconsistent.
- Retcon: All of the engines are shown having specific berths as shown in this episode, but in early seasons before, they constantly changed their berths.
- Rule of Funny: Edward trying to sleep on a boat out at sea. JUMPING in surprise at the sound of the ship's horn.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Salty always sings in his sleep every night.
- Trailers Always Lie: The promo screenshot for the episode (shown above) never appears in the episode.
- Wham Episode: The episode ends with Edward deciding to stay with Philip at Wellsworth, and the engines at Tidmouth Sheds wondering who will stay in his place.