- The Control Voice: Who we are and what we will become are determined by our actions. But are those actions planting the seeds of our salvation... or destruction?
A company introduces a new breed of corn that seems to cause tumors.
- The Control Voice: Let us always remember, as we sow... so shall we reap.
Tropes of Destruction:
- Dying Town: Hobson was a dying town until MacroSeed arrived. The company paid a small fortune to rent several of its fields in order to grow TX-40, their genetically engineered strain of corn.
- Love Triangle: Linda Andrews is married to Rex and is having an affair with Harold Zimmer, her old high school boyfriend. The two men work together at MacroSeed.
- Parental Neglect: Linda Andrews' mother continually neglected her when she was a child as she was more interested in sleeping with men than in being a parent.
- Vertebrate with Extra Limbs: DNA from TX-40, a genetically engineered strain of corn developed by a company called MacroSeed, crossed over to milkweed. The spread of the milkweed's pollen causes both people and animals in the small town of Hobson to develop tumors. In the case of a cat, a fifth leg grows from a tumor on its back. The cat is killed in the process.