Her escape attempt foiled, June is back with the Waterfords. Serena Joy hosts a baby shower. Aunt Lydia shows June the body of Omar, the man who hid her in the previous episode explaining that his wife is now a handmaid and their son will never see either of his parents again. She expresses to June that this is her fault. June accepts the blame and commits herself to being Offred. In the narration of the final scene she recites "We've been sent good weather", showing that even in her head she appears to have given in to her role as Offred.
This episode provies examples of:
- Becoming the Mask: June embraces being Offred.
- Dead Guy on Display: Omar's headbagged body is left hanging on the wall.
- Despair Event Horizon: June learning of the horrific punishments which were delivered as the consequence of her recent defiant actions, such as the second Ofglen having her tongue removed, and Omar's execution and his family being split apart deal a heavy blow to her quietly defiant spirit. Offred is guilt-ridden and prays for Hannah and herself to forget June, and at the end of the episode doesn't react when Nick refers to her by that name.
- Fate Worse than Death: Omar was just hanged, while his wife became a Handmaid, something which in the previous episode she said she would sooner die than become one. This ends up breaking June's resolve.
- Laser-Guided Karma: The fate of Omar's family. Lydia makes sure to tell June that she is responsible.
- Kick the Dog: Someone (presumably Serena) had the inscription "Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum" ("Don't let the bastards grind you down") sanded over. This aids in June's Despair Event Horizon.
- Madness Mantra: "We've been sent good weather. We've been sent good weather."
- earlier than that: "My Fault. My Fault. My Fault."
- They Died Because of You: Aunt Lydia successfully uses this tactic to break June's spirit, albeit temporary.
- Tongue Trauma: The second Ofglen got her tongue ripped out for refusing to stone Janine.
- Your Cheating Heart: Flashbacks show Luke's first wife, Annie, and how she responded to Luke's affair with June and their subsequent separation, which she blames on June.
- Woman Scorned: Luke's first wife, Annie.