San Lorenzo has fallen to El Moco and his army of thieves. It's up to Puss and friends to find the lost citizens of San Lorenzo before El Moco blows it up tomorrow.
- Chain of Deals: As most of the citizens of San Lorenzo are now tied down in their new lives, Puss begins crafting one of these as a means to get the citizens to return.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: How can the lost citizens of San Lorenzo be found? With the Silver Dowsing Rod, of course! Although Puss broke it, Artephius has fixed it since then.
- Exact Words: Artephius asks the Dowsing Rod to point them to the nearest San Lorenzan, and marvels at the revelation that somebody is still in San Lorenzo, but Puss does not take this seriously until he asks the Dowsing Rod to point them to the nearest San Lorenzan who is not Pajuna, who they know is in San Lorenzo, and sees that it still points to San Lorenzo.
- Foreshadowing: The orphans have been staying with the goblins. As Puss leaves, one of the goblins pulls him aside to talk about Cleevil; she identifies as being a goblin, but she looks like no goblin any of the other goblins have ever seen.
- Putting the Band Back Together: The citizens of San Lorenzo have been scattered, and it's up to Puss and friends to rally them back together!
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: As they have been missing for a year after jumping into the unstable Netherworld portal, Puss and co have been assumed dead.
- Running Gag: While they do get to tell the story once, nobody else wants to hear the whole story of where Puss and co have been the past year.
- Skewed Priorities: Puss seems less distressed that he has a grave, and more upset that his epitaph is boring.
- Shout-Out: When the Goblins argue that Cleevil can't be a goblin and suggest she might be a troll, Puss protests as Trolls are known for having very long hair.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: When the group need to get honey to trade with the bears for Senor and Senora Igualdemontijo and vegetables, Puss insists they find a way to make their own honey instead of look for bees as he still has a crippling phobia of bees.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Although the group have only been in the Netherworld for a day at most, an entire year has passed in San Lorenzo.