An old acquaintance of Teal'c's, the Jaffa priestess Shaun'auc, comes to earth claiming that she has convinced the symbiote inside her that the Goa'uld are evil and that it wishes to defect to the Tok'ra — unfortunately, the symbiote is fully mature and needs to take a human host within a matter of days.
Second installment in the "Anise trilogy". First appearance of Tanith.
"Crossroads" provides examples of the following tropes:
- Chest Burster: Invoked when the mature symbiote starts bursting out of Shaun'auc's pouch.
- Continuity Nod: When Teal'c attempts to commune with his symbiote, it sends him a vision of his father's execution by Cronus.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: It's revealed that Cronus killed Teal'c's father by shoving his hand into the symbiote pouch and crushing the symbiote while it was still inside him, allowing their blood to mingle and resulting in a slow and painful death.
- Did You Get a New Haircut?: O'Neill makes a joke to this effect when Shaun'auc comes through the earth stargate using Bra'tac's IDC at the beginning of the episode.O'Neill: Bra'tac. You've done something with your hair.
- Dying Race: Anise reveals that the Tok'ra are one, as they were all spawned from a single queen who was allegedly killed by Ra some time ago.
- Feed the Mole: The Tok'ra plan to do this with Tanith after finding out his true allegiance, using him to send Apophis disinformation about their operations.
- Flatline Plotline: Teal'c has to put himself in a deep enough state of meditation to stop his heart in order to communicate with his symbiote.
- HeelFace Mole: Tanith turns out to be one, pretending to have defected to the Tok'ra so that he can relay information about their activities to Apophis. The Tok'ra are aware of this, and plan to use it to their advantage.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Anise's justification for allowing Tanith to live so that the Tok'ra can use him, despite his murder of Shaun'auc and the suffering of his host.
- Killed Offscreen: Shaun'auc. We see Tanith attack her, and then in the next scene Anise bringing her body back to earth on a stretcher.
- New Old Flame: Teal'c and Shaun'auc apparently had some kind of relationship prior to her becoming a temple priestess, and both seem eager to pick up where they left off despite Teal'c being married. It doesn't end well.
- Odd Job Gods: Discussed in reference to the Tok'ra queen Egeria:Daniel: Egeria, Roman goddess of fountains.O'Neill: Fountains?Daniel: Also childbirth.O'Neill: ...How do those two go together?
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Teal'c is fully intent on seeking vengeance against Tanith for killing Shaun'auc; however, Anise persuades him that Tanith is more useful alive. Notably, it takes three Tok'ra, who have Super Strength thanks to their symbiotes, to restrain him long enough for Anise to talk some sense into him.
- Running Gag: Shaun'auc greets Hammond as "Hammond of Texas" at the beginning of the episode.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: A scene ends with Teal'c and Shaun'auc kissing passionately and then cuts to Teal'c leaving the VIP room the following morning in an alarmingly chipper mood.
- Status Quo Is God: Teal'c intends to leave the SGC and join Shaun'auc in teaching other Jaffa how to commune with their symbiotes on Chulak, but his plans are cut short by her untimely death.
- We ARE Struggling Together: The cracks are definitely beginning to show in the Earth/Tok'ra alliance at this point. O'Neill in particular is openly skeptical about the unwillingness of the Tok'ra to share information, though Carter remains somewhat more sympathetic due to her personal ties.
- We Will Meet Again: The last words of the episode spoken between Teal'c and Tanith:Tanith: I hope one day we will meet again, Teal'c. And together remember she who meant so much to both of us.Teal'c: We will meet again... You have my promise.