Originally aired April 27, 2005
Written by Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders
Directed by Jeannot Szwarc
When Clark attempts to stop Kevin Grady, a metahuman with the ability to erase people's short-term memory, he ends up losing all of his memories. Chloe is then forced to teach Clark about his powers and keep him from accidentally revealing them to others.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Absentee Actor: John Schneider and Annette O'Toole don't appear in the episode (they appear in a Deleted Scene, though).
- Abusive Dad: Dr. Grady, who shot Kevin's brother during a hunting trip and then implanted false memories into Kevin to make him think he killed his brother.
- Amnesiac Hero: Clark, for much of the episode, leaving Chloe to prevent him from accidentally exposing his powers to others. He gets his memories back by the end, though.
- Amnesia Danger: Lex takes advantage of Clark's temporary amnesia to find out about the hidden chamber in the Kawatche Caves.
- Anti-Villain: Kevin is a Type II.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Jason gets upset with Lana when she decides not to go to college with him because their relationship has changed since they left Paris. Angry, Jason yells that he has done so much to protect her.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Kevin has the power to erase people's memories of the past few minutes or so. When he uses this power on Clark, however, he ends up erasing all of Clark's memories (don't worry, folks; he gets better by the end of the episode).
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Kevin's power erases people's memories of the last few minutes, but when this power is used against Clark, it erases all of his memories, leaving him completely amnesiac.
- Mundanger: Apart from expertise in memory, Dr. Grady has no special abilities.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Chloe theorizes that Clark's abilities are from the meteor shower, not actually that he's an alien.
- Stock Footage: For the montage of Clark's memories (both when they're being erased and when they're being restored), the episode uses quick clips from previous episodes.
- Villain of the Week: Dr. Lawrence Grady