Originally aired April 20, 2005
Written by Luke Schelhaas
Directed by Whitney Ransick
Egocentric student Dawn Stiles crashes her car into a Kryptonite-filled ravine; the accident causes her spirit to be released, and Dawn takes to possessing a string of people, starting with Martha.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Alpha Bitch: Dawn, through and through. Even her boyfriend can't stand her.
- Antagonist Title: Dawn becomes the titular spirit that possesses various characters.
- Alas, Poor Villain: You can't help but feel a little sorry for her as she crosses over.
- Batman Gambit: Two cases.
- First, Jason threatens to bring Sheriff Adams to Dr. Crosby's body on Lex's property. By the time he does, Lex has covered all the tracks, at which point Jason calls his mom and says their plan worked.
- Later, Clark catches up with Dawn in Chloe's body and she possesses him. Cue Jonathan coming in, Kryptonite blazing.
- Body Surf: Dawn, in spirit form, inhabits the bodies of other people, including Martha, Lana, Lois, Chloe, and Clark.
- Bond One-Liner: As she prepares to set Smallville High afire, Dawn!Chloe says "Now, that's what I call a torch."
- Celebrity Paradox: One of Lex's e-mails is from an actress who played a minor role in "Lucy," two episodes ago.
- Death by Disfigurement: When she sees what her real body looks like after her car accident, Dawn grows so disgusted that she kills it at once. The spirit doesn't survive that long, either.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Dawn, while in Chloe's body, tried to kill everyone at prom because no one cared about her and scream out their hatred of her (and that she didn't deserve the crown).
- Entitled Bitch: Dawn
- Gender Bender: Near the end, Dawn possesses Clark for a brief time.
- She also has a Blink-and-You-Miss-It possession of a guy earlier, when she briefly surfs through a few bodies.
- How We Got Here: The teaser shows Dawn!Chloe heading to the boiler room and preparing to set the school on fire, but then we begin a couple of days before Senior Prom.
- Internal Reveal: Chloe becomes aware of Clark's weakness to Kryptonite, but no one else knows that she knows.
- Kill It with Fire: Dawn!Chloe attempts to burn down Smallville High and kill everyone inside.
- Prom Wrecker: Once she realizes how much the student body hates her, Dawn!Chloe decides to burn Smallville High down while Prom is still going on.
- Serious Business: Senior Prom is this for Dawn.Lois: I don't mean to be rude, Mrs. Kent, but, uh, did you crack open the cooking sherry?Dawn!Martha: Of course not. I'm just super-pumped about prom!
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: This funny quote after Dawn possesses Clark:Dawn!Clark: Crown's mine, bitch! [punches Chloe]
- Too Dumb to Live: She died in a car crash because she was talking on her phone while driving.
- Verbal Tic: Dawn is very fond of saying "Genius!" and "Laters!"
- Villain of the Week: Dawn Stiles, an Alpha Bitch who gains Body Surf powers.
- Would Hit a Girl: Dawn, while possessing Clark, punches Chloe.