Originally aired May 4, 2005
Written and Directed by Steven S. DeKnight
Clark and Lana find an abandoned baby in a cornfield, and the baby, named "Evan," turns out to be a metahuman with rapid aging powers. Genevieve threatens to kill Lex unless Lionel gives her one of the Kryptonian stones.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Anger Born of Worry: Lana displays this towards Evan after he returns to the Kents' farmhouse after running off earlier.
- Call-Back: Near the end of the episode, when Evan tells Clark he's lucky he was found by him, Clark replies "I don't think we found you; I think you found us," echoing Martha's words to Jonathan in the pilot after they found Kal-El.
- Death by Childbirth: Happens to Evan's mother, Karen, in the teaser when she gives birth to him, letting out an energy blast that vaporizes her and her car. All that's left afterwards when Clark and Lana come by the area is a crater and the surviving baby.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Evan as a child.
- The Diaper Change: Clark does this to Evan, who nearly pees on him.
- Disappeared Dad: Tanner, Evan's birth father who wants nothing to do with his son.
- I Have No Son!: Tanner refuses to accept responsibility for his son, much to Clark's dismay and anger.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Tanner accidentally gets fatally impaled on a mechanic's tool during a tense moment with Evan.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Teenage!Evan goes to see his birth father Tanner and tells him he's his father. It doesn't end well.
- Papa Wolf:
- Clark develops this attitude toward Evan, to the point where he gets aggressive with Tanner when the latter denies any kind of relationship to Evan.
- After Genevieve threatens to kill Lex if he doesn't hand over one of the Kryptonian stones, Lionel poisons her and withholds the antidote from her as she lays on the floor, reaching for it and gasping for air.Lionel: Parenthood—it's an interesting phenomenon, isn't it? The lengths we go to to protect our children. No limits.Genevieve: [drops the wine glass and collapses, choking] What are you—Lionel: The wine you've just drunk will kill you in a matter of minutes. I'm told that the pain will be excruciating. How about a trade? You give me the stone that you stole from Bridgette Crosby, and I give you the antidote. One more thing—you go near my son, and anything that happens to him happens to you. Is that understood?
- Parents for a Day: Clark and Lana become the surrogate parents of Evan.
- Screaming Birth: Karen, Evan's mother, in the teaser.
- Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome: Evan's power, explained by him building up energy and expending it through rapid cell division.
- Withholding the Cure: Lionel does this to a poisoned Genevieve as she reaches for the antidote he holds and he demands one of the Kryptonian stones.