Japanese Title: Dispatch the Laplace Protection Team! Do Your Best, Eureka!!
Original Airdate: October 30, 2014
US Airdate: December 20, 2014
After wandering off, Bonnie meets a group of children who have made friends with a young Lapras that has been separated from its herd and whose health starts slipping. The kids don't want anyone else to find out about Lapras out of fear, but Bonnie decides she has to tell her group, and remembering the Lapras he helped in the Orange Islands, Ash knows it's in deep trouble. They race against the clock to get Lapras back out to the sea and away from Team Rocket.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Adults Are Useless: At least, the kids think so, and their definition of "adult" apparently includes anyone older than 10. Ash and friends have to convince them otherwise.
- Brutal Honesty: The kids actively resist the idea of bringing Lapras to the Pokémon Center out of fear, so Ash warns them of how serious Lapras's condition is and doesn't sugarcoat it (see Never Say "Die" below).
- Continuity Nod: Of course Ash would know the danger Lapras is in — he used to take care of an infant one himself.
- I Never Told You My Name: The Lapras Defense kids claim this when Bonnie knows who they are — apparently having forgotten that they'd just told her ten seconds ago.
- Malaproper: One of the kids has a recurring tendency to use the wrong word and get corrected.
- Never Say "Die": In the Japanese version, Ash explicitly says Lapras will die if it's left behind. In the English dub, he says it's "going downhill fast".
- Out-Gambitted: When Jessie and Meowth attack the group, Ash tries to send Bonnie and Lapras ahead. They end up running into James and Inkay.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Lapras is easily befriended using candy.