"The Landlord" is the twelfth episode of New Girl.
Jess the gang into some minor trouble when she brings up some problems with the landlord.
Tropes in this episode:
- Almost Kiss: Jess and Nick almost kiss when pretending to be into a threesome with their landlord.
- Bad "Bad Acting": All four roommates unconvincingly pretend that there were only three of them, especially Schmidt trying to pass as a visiting Fauxreigner.
- Cringe Comedy: Nick and Jess are in the throes of Will They or Won't They?, and they get thrust into a situation where they're basically playing chicken about having Three-Way Sex with their creepy landlord just to prove a point. Neither of them wants to be there, and they just keep Digging Themselves Deeper.
- Fauxreigner: Schmidt pretends to be a visiting foreigner so the landlord can see there are only three of them in the loft.
- Hands-On Approach: Discussed and invoked when Nick explains to Jess that "Any time a man shows a woman how to do something from behind, it's just an excuse for him to get really close and breathe on her neck." He then gives her a demonstration, and she squirms away.
- Ironic Echo: "Dip your toe in the pool of possibilities." First said by Jess to Nick to get him to agree to dinner with their landlord, then by Nick to Jess after the landlord thinks he is having a threesome with the two.
- Ship Tease: Nick and Jess are teased repeatedly throughout the episode, not helped by the fact that their landlord thinks they want a threesome with him.
- A Threesome Is Hot: Played for Laughs. Remy is into the idea of a threesome with Nick and Jess, who are disgusted.
- Zany Scheme Chicken: Nick and Jess almost end up doing it...with their landlord because neither of them want to back down. Jess folds.