Zack Underwood, a new kid in town, meets Milo Murphy, the unluckiest kid in town. Because of Milo's misfortune, he and Zack both miss the bus for school, so Milo shows Zack a "shortcut" to school, while attempting to avoid wolves, bees, fire, and even an alien abduction. Meanwhile, Melissa Chase, a friend of Milo's, collects lunches as wagers from other students on whether or not Milo and Zack will make it to school before the bell rings.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Milo and Zack have no issues navigating the sewer once they have some light.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Milo manages to win Zack over by asking him what's more interesting, riding the bus to school or having a life threatening epic adventure every morning?
- Big Damn Heroes: As the wolf with the beehive stuck on his head is about to attack Zack and Milo, Diogee suddenly appears and knocks him away from the kids.
- Brick Joke:
- When Zack asks Milo if he's some kind of tough guy, Milo says no one's ever called him tough. Then after he's chased off by the sewer pipe, Melissa calls him tough as the reason she thinks he'll make it to school.
- From the same episode, a super-strong (albeit defective) bungee cord that holds construction equipment and a section of pipe find their way to Milo. Later on, at a construction site, the workers note the absence of these items.
- At the bus stop, Milo tells Melissa he's got a new scar and texts her a photo of it so that she can see it from a safe distance. Later in the episode, a construction worker asks Milo about the new scar.
- Cold Opening: It's used to establish Milo's character as an optimistic Walking Disaster Area.
- Delicious Distraction: Milo tries to distract a pack of wolves with a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich. It just bounces off the lead wolf and gets stuck to Zack's back. Milo grabs a stick and swats it into a nearby tree.
- Early-Bird Cameo/Freeze-Frame Bonus: Balthazar Cavendish and Vinnie Dakota are among the crowd that scatter when the concrete drainage pipe comes barreling toward them.
- Malaproper: Provided by Milo: "Sticks and stones may damage your vital organs, so always wear protective body armor!"
- Non-Indicative Name: Coyote Park wasn't named because it was home to coyotes. It was named for actor Peter Coyote, who donated the land to the city... as a wolf preserve.
- Pun-Based Title: The episode's name is based around the protagonist's name and the phrase "going the extra mile."
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Zack lets out a high-pitched shriek when he gets a peanut butter and jelly sandwich stuck to his back. Then another as a wolf with a beehive stuck to his head is about to attack him and Milo.
- T-Word Euphemism: In the Cold Opening, Milo won't tell Zack exactly why everyone seems to keep their distance from him because he doesn't like using the "J" word... which Zack finds out rather quickly is "jinx".
- Worrying for the Wrong Reason: Milo tells Zach that Coyote Woods isn't home to any coyotes. It's home to wolves.