Jane's cousin Catalina arrives in Miami for a visit, much to Alba's dismay. Professor Donaldson recommends Jane for a job at a publishing company. Petra's revenge against Rafael is cut short by a lawsuit. Rogelio helps Xiomara look for a dance studio.
- Birds of a Feather: Rafael and Catalina instantly hit it off due to both being wealthy and well-traveled.
- Dreadful Musician: Michael's drunk rendition of "Locked Out of Heaven" has Jane's publishing connections grimacing.
- Foil: Catalina is overly cheerful, well-traveled, and spontaneous, all of which are points of contrast against Jane, who starts to feel like her life is 'boring' by the episode's end.
- I Am Very British: Catalina has a refined British accent due to being born and raised in Europe. It makes her look high-class compared to Jane.
- Idiot Ball: Jane lies about knowing how to use a certain type of software, somehow not considering that her interviewer would ask her more about it. Petra responds to a sexual harassment lawsuit from Scott by tracking him down to yell at him in the middle of the hotel.
- Product Placement: Both in-universe and out: Rogelio's show somehow has to feature Honey Bunches of Oats in the plot despite supposedly being a climactic episode, which is a self-aware nod to the actual Post sponsorship going on in this episode.
- Reality Subtext: In-universe. Rogelio is at first sure that nothing would stop his character from confessing his love despite seeing his love interest kiss someone else, but he goes to confess to Xo, finds her kissing an old flame, and walks away, he agrees with the initial script.
- Waxing Lyrical: When breaking things off with Scott, Petra emphatically declares that they "are never ever getting back together."Scott: You don't have to throw our song in my face!