Season 3, Episode 6
Conscience of the King
Despite his past following him to Lakeside, Shadow makes himself at home and builds relationships within the town. Laura and Salim continue to hunt for Wednesday, who attempts one final gambit to win over Demeter.
Tropes That Appear In This Episode:
- Been There, Shaped History: A much younger Odin and Tyr fought as soldiers-of-fortune in the Revolutionary War.
- Bittersweet Ending: Demeter forgives Wednesday and is finally convinced to leave the clinic. Instead of joining him however, she dissolves into nature where Wednesday cannot follow, leaving Wednesday heartbroken.
- The Cameo: It is here that Mr. World takes on another persona, this time as a much older hispanic man played by Danny Trejo.
- Contrived Coincidence: It turns out that Marguerite is the half-sister of Sam Black Crow from "Muninn".
- Love Triangle: When they were younger, Odin promised his friend Tyr to be his wingman in wooing Demeter after the Revolutionary War. Odin being Odin of course, he instead woos the Goddess while a cuckolded Tyr watches in begrudging support, Tyr being the shoulder to cry on for Demeter when their daughter dies at birth. By modern times, Tyr and Demeter keep in contact while the both of them have mixed feelings towards Wednesday.
- My Greatest Failure: It is here that it's revealed what caused Wednesday and Demeter's relationship to die; they met and hit it off during the Civil War, only for Odin to flee when their infant daughter died at birth, unable to cope with a "battle" he did not know how to fight. Since her husband was not there to help her cope with this, Demeter eventually hid herself away from the world at the clinic.