Basic Trope: The protagonists have a dispute and abandon their friendship.
- Straight: Alice and Bob quarrel over who's doing a better job of foiling Emperor Evulz' scheme. This causes them to declare their friendship over and go their separate ways.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob have been True Companions for years, yet their argument causes them to become Arch-Enemies.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob are casual acquaintances who are willing to work together if it means saving the world, and their argument causes them to dislike each other, prompting them to have some time apart from each other before reconciling and resuming their mission.
- Justified: They said some things to each other that really cut deep.
- Inverted: Alice and Bob are enemies competing with each other to defeat Emperor Evulz before the other. Evulz casts a magic spell on them that causes them to become friends, and thus not want to defeat Evulz because neither of them wants to feel superior to the other.
- Subverted: Bob: "I've had it with you, Alice! ... I've had glory and adventures and it's all thanks to you! Now come on, let's go defeat Evulz together!"
- Double Subverted: Alice: "Fine. You're still a klutz for dropping that sword off the ship, though." Bob: "Okay, that does it, now I really do hate you!"
- Parodied: They make up ten seconds later.
- Averted: Bob and Alice never have a dispute.
- Enforced: "We need to include a part in the plot where Alice and Bob get mad at each other and go their separate ways, but reconcile just in time to defeat Emperor Evulz. It adds drama and we can keep them as friends."
- Lampshaded: "This friendship is OVER!"
- Invoked: Alice and Bob search Evulz' lair and split up to cover more ground. Evulz' servants tell them separately that Alice/Bob thinks the other is worthless.
- Exploited: Evulz recruits Bob, who accepts this as a way to get back at Alice.
- Defied: "Alice, while I don't approve of some of your actions, and you don't approve of some of mine, we're still friends and we still need to defeat Emperor Evulz together."
- Discussed: Charlie: "You left Alice?!" Bob: "She thinks I'm worthless." Charlie: "But aren't you guys going to defeat Evulz?" Bob: "If I'm so worthless, she can do it by herself." Meanwhile, Alice is having the same conversation with Diane.
- Conversed: "Oh shit, Alice and Bob aren't friends anymore!" "For now. They'll make up later, these movies always have a sequence where the heroes have an argument. It creates drama and tension."
- Implied: Alice and Bob silently confront each other, ready to tear into each other about their mistakes. The scene then cuts to them walking away from each other, giving each other the stink-eye.
- Played For Laughs: Their quarrel was over Bob forgetting to bring ketchup and mustard for the hot dogs they packed for their long journey.
Back to Plot-Mandated Friendship Failure.