Basic Trope: A character who hates owing debts and always repays them even if they hate who they owe the debt to.
- Straight: Alice is Bob's archenemy, and eventually saves his life. In response, Bob gives Alice a Villainous Rescue, and then tells her that they're now even, and to expect no rewards in future.
- Downplayed: Alice buys Bobs lunch. He then buys Alice lunch, saying that they're now even, and if she wants another lunch from him, he owes another lunch to her.
- Inverted: Bob enjoying being in debt and goes to great lengths to avoid ever paying the debts back.
- Subverted: Bob tells Alice that he owes her nothing, and storms off in a huff.
- Double Subverted: Bob changes his mind, just in time to get Alice out of trouble, grumbling all the way.
Alice: "Not going to obsess over repaying me", huh..."Bob: Shut up and enjoy your mohito.
- Bob tells Alice that while he is grateful, he's not going to obsess over repaying his debt to her: he'll accept this help as a gift and nothing more. Bob is saying this as he's fanning Alice, feeding her grapes and offering her a selection of cocktails.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: No debt is offered or repaid.
- Enforced: Bob is ordered to repay Alice by his superiors, who are significantly more honorable than he is.
- Lampshaded:Bob: Never liked leaving things undone, least of all debtsAlice: Bet you put your tax return in on time too...
- Invoked: Bob notices Alice does not want his help and pretends to be resentful towards the debt in order to ease her worries.
- Bob owes Alice his life. Bob lies to Alice about it being a one-time thing so that he can escape his responsibility to her while not openly violating his honor.
- Alice knows Bob hates being in debt, and deliberately lavishes favors on him that he can't possibly repay, just to rile him up.
- Defied: Alice tells Bob not to worry about repaying her, and when Bob presses the issue she says that any good from his attempts to repay her would be undone from disobeying her desire to not be repaid.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "I hate owing things too. Not that you'd know from my credit average. "
Repay your debts to Debt Detester here