Basic Trope: Kindness to a neglected/abused person is repaid with help and Undying Loyalty.
- Straight: Bob gave Alice his sandwich on a day she didn't have her own food with her. She instantly decides she will always help him whenever and however he needs it.
- Exaggerated: Alice is The Ageless and Bob's kindness in giving her half his sandwich is the best she's been treated in centuries. She vows she will warp the fabric of reality to give Bob everything he desires.
- Downplayed: Bob gave Alice his sandwich on a day she had no food with her, and she helps him out a few times.
- Justified: Kindness is strange to Alice, and she's determined to help the only person who shows it to her.
- Inverted: Bob gives Alice his sandwich on a day she didn't have any food with her. Now that he's proven he has supplies, she beats him up him and takes all the supplies he has.
- Subverted: Bob gives Alice his sandwich. She says no one has been so kind to her...and then walks away.
- Double Subverted: However, when Alice discovers she is the long-lost Princess of Troperia, the first thing she thinks of is how she can now repay Bob for his kindness in giving her the sandwich.
- Parodied: Bob tells Alice "hello." She instantly pledges Undying Loyalty to him.
- Zig Zagged: Bob gives Alice his sandwich. She says no one has been so kind to her and then walks away. Then he saves Charlie and Dracone from a wolf attack. They seem to be friendly, but then Dracone beats up Bob and steals his supplies. However, Charlie tries to help him, and manages to keep him alive until they find Alice, who has just found out she is the long-lost Princess of Troperia. She remembers Bob and gives him a place at court.
- Averted: ???
- Enforced: The author is trying to insert an Aesop about the benefits of kindness.
- Lampshaded:Bob: Really? It was only one sandwich! You want to help me for life because of one sandwich?
Alice: No one has been so kind to me in years.
- Exploited: Bob gives Alice a sandwich knowing she will try to repay him "Kindness given is kindness repaid."
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Implied: Charlie asks Bob how he and Alice became friends, noting that she's helped him through some pretty rough things. Bob answers, "Not as rough as the streets of Horrur."
I can't believe you were so kind as to come see this subpage! Here, I'll help you back to the trope.