"Tanaka Kanata and Yoshikawa Kazuki from Class 2-B are mature".
Middle schoolers Kanata Tanaka and Kazuki Yoshikawa are mature beyond their years, perfect model students admired from afar by classmates and teachers alike. But when school's out, these two childhood friends can let loose as average fourteen-year-olds, fresh in the throes of puberty, adolescence...and the persistent, bittersweet pangs of first love
The manga provide examples of:
- Beneath the Mask:
- A major theme of the series is the difference between how a person presents themselves to the world and how they really behave, which they can only show around certain people.
- Being able to remove their masks around each other is what brought Kanata and Kazuki together.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Nagai. Hinohara knows this and motivates him (through questionable means).
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Kazuki accuses Kanata of thinking this way during a discussion about an argument between two classmates.
- High-School Dance: Of the awkward variety, the students are very nervous at the thought of holding hands with a member of the opposite sex.
- Huge School Girl: Kanata is a realistic version. She's the tallest girl in her class but she's not freakishly tall.
- Teacher/Student Romance: G-rated version between Nagai and Hinohara.