Following the footsteps of the Sword of Truth series, the adventure continues, but not for Richard, Kahlan or the Sword. Here, they are relegated to backstory and mentions only. The titular Sister Nicci and Nathan Rahl take the main stage as the primary characters as they journey across the Old World to help Lord Rahl consolidate his power and bring peace and prosperity to a new golden age.
If only it were that easy.
Joining them for the journey is Bannon Farmer, a young lad from Chiriya Island, who chances to cross paths with Nicci, and winds up accompanying them on their quest. While many lands and cities are welcoming to her mission of peace, some lands, she finds, remain troubled, aloof, or even downright hostile. The books are as follows:
- Death's Mistress (2016)
- Shroud of Eternity (2017)
- Siege of Stone (2018)
This series provides examples of:
- Baleful Polymorph: Victoria, and her Acolytes Audrey, Laurel and Sage unleash a spell beyond their control that forcibly enters their flesh and transforms them into plantlike-human monsters.
- Brought Down to Normal: Played with. Nathan Rahl still has his magic, but it's so uncontrolled so as to be either useless, or downright dangerous to his companions or people he's trying to help.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Sister Nicci's driving force is to help consolidate all lands under Lord Rahl's rule... because she loves him, but knows she can never have him. Helping bring peace to the lands is her way of showing it.
- Naïve Newcomer: Encapsulated in Bannon Farmer. Although he wants to treat his life as idyllic, as the series passes we learn some of his Dark and Troubled Past.