- "It's a spell to keep jarring at a minimum," Anders explained. "But slings do that naturally—usually it's for leg casts or head wounds and the like, that you can't immobilize as easily as an arm.""Perhaps Sister Lisette's intention was not for you to study the spell, then. Perhaps she meant for you to ponder of a reason why she exerted such redundancy at all."
Another NaNoWriMo project. The story follows a cleric called Lisette and her acolyte Anders, on a pilgrimage to a town with demons in the nearby woods. They have a soldier Fenrich to provide necessary muscle, as they're both healers under strict vows not to harm others. On the way they pick up the young lady Hanna, who is as mysterious as she is gentle, and Sir Leonard the Tempest who decides only one trained fighter out of four is just asking for trouble.
This story provides examples of:
- Author Appeal: Three out of five people are shy, at least in a few aspects.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Anders has a crush on Hanna, but as a cleric he is under vows of chastity. This makes him incredibly paranoid when Leonard comes along.
- Meaningful Name: Anders and Leonard both refer to lions. For added irony, Leonard was the name of a saint while Anders can have connotations closer to 'warrior'. Fenrich is a reference to Norse mythology.
- Men Are Uncultured: Averted. Fenrich is the only crude person among a knight, two clerics, and a lady.
- Neutral Female: Lisette, and Anders is a Neutral Male. They take their vows seriously.
- Oblivious Rival: Anders; although he does admit his behavior is irrational, he can't help reading into every single conversation that passes between Leonard and Hanna.
- Shout-Out: Sir Leonard the Tempest is a shout out to Final Fantasy VIII's main character.
- Team Mom: Lisette, mostly to Hanna and Anders.