Centuries in the future, humanity is locked in a galaxy-spanning war with their descendants, a race of cyborgs known as the Machinists. Aboard a troop transport ship journeying through hyperspace, a saboteur initiates a new skirmish in this war when he damages the resonator which protects the inhabitants of the ship from macrobes, the malevolent intelligences which inhabit hyperspace, and which can take over and grossly warp both the bodies and minds of humans. Now, a few crew members thrown together by chance have to fight off cyborgs and monstrosities which used to be their fellow crew, and repair the ship before they are all either demonic monstrosities or their butchered victims.
Hyperspace Demons contains examples of:
- Brown Note: Looking into the lights of hyperspace can drive a human mad.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: This is one theory about why the Machinists cannot be taken over by macrobes and also why they cannot become Navigators.
- Demonic Possession: Although they are not literally demons, this is the best analogue for what happens to a human who becomes infected by one of the macrobes.
- Heroic Sacrifice: A human infected by a macrobe who deliberately gives his own life for others is resurrected by the macrobe and becomes a Navigator. This is the only way to become a Navigator, and the only other option is to become a homicidal monstrosity.
- Hyperspace Is a Scary Place: Look at the title. Did I really have to tell you this?
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The infiltrators are zombie-robot-spiders, and yes, they are just as creepy as that sounds.