Spoilers Off applies to all Funny pages, so all spoilers are unmarked. You Have Been Warned!
You probably wouldn't expect this, but there are a few moments.
- The idea of a "holiday" called Hate Week.
- During the Two Minute Hate, Julia goes so berserk with rage that she throws her shoe at the screen. It's absurd enough that O'Brien stares at her in incredulity. Knowing what we learn later in the story (that Julia is a rebel against the Party), it's downright hilarious.
- One meta reference in 1984 regarding Goldstein's book: He certainly said the name of The Book as though it were in italics. "The Book" is predominantly italicized in the story's text.
- Winston tries to have a smoke after returning home, only for the tobacco to fall out from the shoddy cigarette in the beginning of the 1984 adaptation.Winston: Bugger!
- The 1954 BBC adaptation has a notable one where O'Brien reads a sample of a porn novel in the Pornosec.
- The way the Thought Police taunts Winston and Julia over the speaker when they get caught sounds outright cartoonish.Thought Police: While we're on the subject, here comes a candle to light up your bed, here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
- Winston having to watch Parsons use the cell's toilet while he's in the Ministry Of Love.Winston uncovered his face. Parsons used the lavatory, loudly and abundantly. It then turned out that the plug was defective and the cell stank abominably for hours afterwards.
- This or massive Squick.
- In a Black Comedy sense, crossing a bit into Nightmare Fuel, Winston coming upon a severed human arm, and promptly kicking it into the gutter.
- After composing the biography of Comrade Ogilvy, a fictitious paragon of the Party, Winston decides against having him decorated for any of his over-the-top achievements because that would make extra work.
- As horrifying as O'Brien's Motive Rant is, there's something very immaturely funny about the sentence "We will abolish the orgasm." At least if you remove the context behind it.