You probably wouldn't expect this, but there are a few moments.
- The idea of a "holiday" called Hate Week.
- During the Two Minute Hate, Julia goes so berserk with rage, throwing her shoe at the screen, O'Brien stares at her in incredulity. Knowing what we learn later in the story, it's downright hilarious.
- Winston tries to have a smoke after returning home, only for the tobacco to fall out from the shoddy cigarette in the beginning of the 1984 adaptation.Winston: Bugger!
- The 1954 BBC adaptation has a notable one where O'Brien reads a sample of a porn novel in the Pornosec.
- The way the Thought Police taunts Winston and Julia over the speaker when they get caught sounds outright cartoonish.Thought Police: While we're on the subject, here comes a candle to light up your bed, here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
- Winston having to watch Parsons use the cell's toilet while he's in the Ministry Of Love.Winston uncovered his face. Parsons used the lavatory, loudly and abundantly. It then turned out that the plug was defective and the cell stank abominably for hours afterwards.
- This or massive Squick.